New to Chickens and could use suggestions?

MsAndi

Hatching
6 Years
May 1, 2013
HELLO from Oklahoma!! I am new to chickens and had originally had 3 chickens and 2 guineas. Well about 2 weeks ago I had a rooster show up on the property. I didn't want to put him in with my girls right away so we built a makeshift coop next to them. The smaller coop buts right up to the girls where they can see and smell each other but not be able to harm. Well I went out to check on them this morning and there were quite a few feathers laying in the bottom of his area and I noticed drops of blood. Well I immediately thought something got into his area, but when I looked closer I realized the wire mesh that separates them was covered in blood and there was drops of blood on the frames of both coops. I have noticed that he rubs himself up and down on the section that they share. So my question is does he just want in there so bad that he is doing this to himself? Will they hurt each other if I try to put them together now? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Sometimes hens will want a rooster around.But,when I introduced my rooster,fights didn't last but maybe 7 seconds then they realize he was bigger and had spurs.Are uoy sure the guineas aren't fighting him?

One of the guineas is pretty timid, she runs from everything. But the other is definitely more bold (she is more protective of the others.) I haven't noticed that she seems very interested in him though. The one time I did try to introduce him the 2 biggest of the chickens attacked him. He put up with it for a bit but when one of them pecked his comb he started fighting back. We went ahead and separated them again hoping if we gave them a little more time.... a few days ago the door of the big coop didn't get shut all the way and the 2 that attacked him were able to get into his cage and they were acting like best buds. We were going to put them together again today when I happened to notice the blood and feathers this morning.

They probabaly got into a big fight.Roosters are not gonna put up with hens beating them,unless the punks.

For now can you make a solid screen for the wire side he shares with the hens. Maybe something out of cardboard or Masonite, etc. That way he can't see the hens and may settle down not harm himself trying to get to them.

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom