New to chickens, just bought 6 hens.

Michelle14

Chirping
May 14, 2024
Hello I just purchased 6 hens. They are all under 2 years old. Any ideas if the “bird” app got the breeds correct. Also any tips on how to get the hens to lay eggs? I have had them only 2 days. And have had 3 eggs total. Not sure if this is a normal thing. Currently feeding a local lagers pellet, I also have been using some cracked corn and chicken scratch as treats. They have access to water and feed all day, and have layed in the nesting box. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1938.png
    IMG_1938.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1939.png
    IMG_1939.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
They may need time to adjust and then they will begin laying regularly. When did you get the hens?

The posture of that andalusian hen is worrying. Does she seem sickly or was she just standing weird for the picture?
I got them yesterday, and no she seems fine, as far as I can see she’s currently scratching and pecking the ground. They were in the sun earlier sleeping it seemed like, she had stayed there

I got them yesterday, and no she seems fine, as far as I can see she’s currently scratching and pecking the ground. They were in the sun earlier sleeping it seemed like, she had stayed there
I am thinking they just need some adjusting to their new surroundings. In time they should be laying eggs like normal. They moved from one place to a completely new place, so they need to assess their new home and get comfortable.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Chickens hate change. It will take them several weeks to acclimate to their new surroundings before they'll start to lay eggs again. The eggs that you already got were already in production before they arrived.
Thank you! I just want to make sure that it’s normal, I’ve had regular birds in the past never chickens! Thank you

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Chickens hate change. It will take them several weeks to acclimate to their new surroundings before they'll start to lay eggs again. The eggs that you already got were already in production before they

I am thinking they just need some adjusting to their new surroundings. In time they should be laying eggs like normal. They moved from one place to a completely new place, so they need to assess their new home and get comfortable.
Okay, i appreciate the information thanks for taking time to reply!

Back
Top Bottom