New to Chickens !! What kind of coop should I get ?

suzygiddens

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 27, 2012
I do not think my Husband will have the time to build a Chicken Coop ?

He is quite handy round the house, but I do not want to bother him....he has so many " honey do's to do around the house? " and this would just add to that !!

Can anyone direct me to a site that has pre-assembled ones that are not to expensive ?

I have been searching and searching, finally decided to join this forum and ask real people....

Any help would be greatly appreciated !! I just want a coop for about 2-4 laying hens....

Thanks in advance Suzy

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png

Will your birds be Large Fowl or Bantam? Just a heads up a lot of the pre made coops do not last long and often up not being weather/predator proof.

Hi,
welcome-byc.gif
So glad you joined us!!!
wee.gif
You can look in the coop section, there are designs for small coops there that are fairly simple to build or you can find an x-large dog house and jut convert it into a coop by cutting in vent and adding a couple of nesting boxes to it. I agree with Kevin.Pre-made coops do not last long and often not up to being weather/predator proof.

Thanks for you quick answer !!

Looking into probably Austalorps, Orpingtons , Or Easter Eggers ( I have done my research )

I guess these are the best Egg Layers ?

:frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us. You could try checking out your local craigslist, I know ours frequently has coops that are for sale listed on it.

Welcome to BYC :) I have Buff Orpingtons and they are wonderful! They get broody but they dont peck when we gather eggs. Great mommas too ;) Making a "Chicken Tractor" is not too hard to do and the chickens get plenty of fresh grass al long as you move them around. Good luck with your adventure :)

Greetings from Kentucky! As has been mentioned some of the prefabricated chicken coops do not hold up as well as a 'homemade' type would. Often times prefabs are not constructed of the best materials. There is also the chance of the lighter weight prefab coops blowing over in strong winds. An alternative solution might be looking on Craig's List and other sources such as the local paper and classifieds. Small storage sheds make wonderful coops. Buying a storage building would cut the work down to half or even less. Keep in mind all metal sheds would be extra hot in the summer months so alterations would need be made. They now have the plastic storage sheds available which would make a wonderful coop and so easy to hose off and clean when needed. I've seen people who use the plastic kids play houses as coops. You might also be able to find a local builder who could help you too. Good luck on your search and getting your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom