New to Chickens

Thank you all for all the information you've given me. We picked our Rhode island Reds up YESTERDAY. I was a nervous wreck, I want to do everything I can to have healthy, happy Chickens!! I'm the type that wants to bond with all my animals. Any suggestions on how to bond with them? I know I can read in learning center, but I like to know from peoples experience. Will greatly appreciate any knowledge on anything re: chickens. Thank you, Patricia

Thank you all for all the information you've given me. We picked our Rhode island Reds up YESTERDAY. I was a nervous wreck, I want to do everything I can to have healthy, happy Chickens!! I'm the type that wants to bond with all my animals. Any suggestions on how to bond with them? I know I can read in learning center, but I like to know from peoples experience. Will greatly appreciate any knowledge on anything re: chickens. Thank you, Patricia

You're welcome. The way to any chicken's heart is through it's stomach. There is a good concise article on how to tame them at http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyar...-run-away-whenever-they-see-me-Can-I-H57.aspx. I have used this method many times and it works very well.

Spend time with your birds, get them used to you and your voice. Talk to them and sit with them with a bit of food close by. When they approach the food don't make any sudden moves, just let them peck at it. In a few days as they adjust to their new home and you, you can sit and hold the food in your hand, they'll come up to it. Try gently stroking them on the back as they eat. If you're sitting down low, you might get a few of them climbing on you.

Time is the most important thing in getting them to bond with you. Some will and some just won't even treated all alike. Appreciate the ones that do and enjoy all of them for being the cool little animals they are.

Hello, I have had my production Reds for 12 days now, and for past couple days one of my girls have been laying around a lot, not eating much, and I noticed another acting similar to her. It sounds like one of them is coughing, hacking, a noise similar to that. I am new to chickens, so if anyone could tell me what they think I would greatly appreciate it. I love them all already, and I don't want to loose any. It breaks my heart, not knowing. Any information on what you think it is, and what I can do would be Greatly Appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!!, Patricia

For the 2 that aren't acting well, separate them from the other chicks. Add some electrolytes to their drinking water and see if they'll eat a little chopped up hard boiled egg. Are they pooping ok or having problems with pasty butt? Were your chicks immunized? Try posting on this forum, giving a complete description of how your chicks are acting, how old they are, etc.:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Hopefully, someone there can help you figure out what's going on. Good luck.

Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom