New to chickens

johnwood

Hatching
Apr 9, 2016
Palm Bay, FL
Hello everyone! I will be new to raising chickens, but have wanted to for many years. Recently my wife finally got on board and I am in the process of building a coop. In Palm Bay, FL, we are allowed to have up to four hens, no roosters.

At first we were going to get pullets, but after spending some time reading, perhaps we will start out with chicks. The general consensus seems to be that the breed of chicken is not as important to what they grew up with as far as handling is concerned. We have small children and hope that they can all get along well.

I think it would be a great experience for the children to learn responsibility. Of course in the end, I am sure I will be doing all the work but that is okay too.

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced poultry keepers - loads of info on anything poultry. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
CT

Some chickens are docile and some are flighty or aggressive despite how they are raised. Generally Buff orpingtons, Cochins, Salmon faverolles tend to be docile breeds

Thank you everyone! From what I have read and has been recommended, I am thinking Buff Orpingtons may be for us. At least until we can move somewhere more rural life friendly.

Back
Top Bottom