New to chickens

jmortonkeil

Hatching
Nov 13, 2016
Hello everyone.
My name is Julia and my husband and I are raising chickens on our small farm. I have never raised chickens my husband has some experience from childhood, but says they always did things the "hard way", or that they could have done a better job. So I am saying that we are both learning. He does know the basics. I am looking forward to having access to so many people and so much information!

We have successfully hatched 2 batches of chicks. Learned A LOT from that experience. Actually had a good success rate, but learned, at least in our situation, to get the chicks out and away from the broody hen that hatched her and get them in our "chicken tractor" with another hen. The broody hen would peck the chicks to death very soon after hatching. The chicks did fine with the other hen in another cage. We had a Bardrock(spelling?) in with the chicks, and she is a GREAT mama chicken. We sold some of the chicks. The ones we did not sell are running around with the older chickens. Our chickens have stopped laying. We recently got some ducks for free and they hang out with our chickens and seem to get along fine for the most part. I read many solutions to the problem so I will be busy trying those things to see if we cannot get their egg production back up. I know they are done molting, but do think that the ducks MIGHT be a "stresser" for them. Also we have to remove the roosters that were hatched. We keep them in their chicken hose until about 11 AM or noon and then they roam on the property the rest of the day. May need to prolong daylight etc., etc.

Thank you all for the wonderful information, I will be busy for the next few weeks but will let you know how things turn out. Just FYI I am the type of person who does NOT like to sit in front of the computer. If someone sends me a message I WILL get back to you it may just take a little while. I'd rather be outside with the chickens!!

J

Hello Julia
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!

Sounds like you've had fun time so far!:) My favorite broody hen was a Barred Rock also, her name was Oreo (original I know). If you have any questions feel free to ask, we are all here to learn and share about chickens (or other poultry). If you haven't done so already I suggest checking our the learning center for helpful articles. As to egg production, the ducks could be a stress causer, but the egg production may also being going done because of less daylight hours. I tend to get very little eggs November-February (sometimes March), but I like to think of it as the hard earned break
lol.png

Glad to meet you Julia, thank you for joining us at Backyard Chickens. The ducks probably are major stressors IF you have any drakes. Please know that drakes will attempt to breed chicken hens and can damage or kill them in the attempt. Duck anatomy is not compatible with chickens.

Thank you for the info! Yes it has been fun so far, chickens are so fun just to watch. I will be checking out this website more, I am technologically challenged, I just don't like being in front of the computer. There is a lot of information, thanks for telling me about the"Learning" section, will certainly check that out. Was told by someone that the ducks we have are females so at least that. Gonna clean out their boxes today, and if need be will do that every week if it helps with egg production. Also gonna try prolonging daylight. But at the same time, maybe they do need a little break, they worked hard all summer. Our neighbor has chickens, as long as I don't have to buy store bought eggs I will be OK until the girls start laying again. We do get duck eggs also, just like one per day. Much bigger yolk than chicken egg and tasty. I like to bake with them. Well I have to go and check out the gang this morning.

Thanks again!

Pretty sure the ducks are female they are laying. But sometimes they seem aggressive towards the hens only while in the coop. I put 2 waters and 2 foods in the coop so the ducks can't guard everything. I will try prolonging daylight also.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom