New to chickens

Daytonj

Chirping
Mar 2, 2021
Texas
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

We are new chickens but not raising animals in general. My husband was in FFA growing up and had a pig. We got these babies 2/28

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We got 6 in hopes at least 4 are hens

(3) What breeds do you have?

We have 3 dark brahmas and 3 copper marans

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Teaching responsibility to my kids and fresh eggs

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Painting, gardening, singing

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have a 3&1/2 year old boy and a 1 year old girl. I'm a stay at home mom and nanny. I have 2 degrees in culinary and pastry so I do food on the side. We fostered a dog last fall but other than that my kids are my pets haha we're just a little family with dreams of a farm one day

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I was googling a question on our new chickens and stumbled on this forum. I was super excited and immediately joined!

I went ahead and named them all in hopes they're all hens. Plus I thought it'd be fun for my son to have names to call them.
But I'm like 80% sure Brown Sugar is a cockral and like 30% Pumpkin is one too. Looking at the wings I think everyone else is a hen

Attachments

• PhotoCollage_20210302_070910434.jpg
    PhotoCollage_20210302_070910434.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
I went ahead and named them all in hopes they're all hens. Plus I thought it'd be fun for my son to have names to call them.
But I'm like 80% sure Brown Sugar is a cockral and like 30% Pumpkin is one too. Looking at the wings I think everyone else is a hen
What is their corresponding age? (And welcome to our community, it's great to have you accompany us)

Back
Top Bottom