New to Chickens

dennymeyrand

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
My name is Denny. My son (7) and I wanted to start some kind of livestock on our 21 acres so we decided on chickens. We have an old horse barn we are converting part of for our new guests. We are getting 25 pullets and 75 cockerels in the next couple weeks plus a few Cornish cross hatch-lings from my son's school. I'm still working out the details for the ones we plan on butchering. I built a brooder for the chicks to go into that is 4' x 8' x 16" and is sectioned off to use as they grow. This will definitely be a new adventure for us. I had chickens growing up but that was a long time ago and I've forgotten more than I should have. I'm looking forward to fresh eggs and meat in the freezer in the coming months.

welcome-byc.gif

Bravo guys. You are taking quite a jump with the numbers but you days of the past will become a little more familiar. That's a lot of birds to start... Enjoy it and especially for the young ones... best learning experience..... Steve

I grew up with all kinds of animals. I wanted my kids to have those experiences as well.

Back
Top Bottom