New to duck hatching

Quackanory

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2016
Uk
Hi all :) I'm incubating duck eggs for the first time, I have no previous experience at all but this site seems like the place on the web for help and support. I've been reading many of the threads over the last few weeks & I'm really impressed with the quality of advice & very pleased to be a new member.

My daughter has also joined as plumpudds so some of this may seem familiar!

We live in the UK, we're incubating a batch of 6 White Campbell duck eggs in a covatutto 16 bator (it's a very small still air one).

The eggs were shipped from a UK seller and we left them to settle pointed end down for 24 hours before setting them in the bator.

We expected a few of the eggs to be duds so we were very suprised when we first candle them and all 6 had developing embryos! As soon as we saw those 6 little heartbeats we fell completely in love!

Today is day 21. The embryos are all growing and are all very lively, but we are a little concerned that some of the air cells may be too small, whereas one of them appears too large (plus its she'll is slightly bumpy and the egg seems narrower than the others) & some of the cells have saddles.

In short, our excitement at having 6 live embryos is turning to utter terror at the thought of all the things that can go wrong between now and hatching!

Any advice/encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

So happy to be joining this community and looking forward to your feedback x

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us. Good Luck with your hatch.

Hi Mum and Daughter and
welcome-byc.gif

I have no experience with using incubators, so you may wish to post any questions relating to their use on the "Incubating and hatching chicks" forum - thereafter, the "Duck" forum peeps will be able to help you out.

Theres a UK thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/655508/uk-member-please-say-hi/890 which you may wish to join so you can chat with other BYC members in Blighty.
All the best
CT

Welcome to both of you. I know nothing about incubation or ducks, User name "Miss Lydia," is the best person to ask for advice. Maybe you can find her through the search box.

Thank you all so much for the welcoming messages and advice, it's really appreciated :) I'll post up on the 'duck' forum next as we're about to go into lockdown. Fingers and toes crossed!!! xxx

Back
Top Bottom