New to ducks

eschlotz

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2015
hello! I am headed to the store friday to purchase 2 ducklings! However I am very new to ducks and I need all the info you all can give! Best breed, friendly breeds, housing, feed, can they swim in my man made pond, protection from other wildlife etc etc... thank you Maybe someone can tell me about a good book?

Storey's guide to raising ducks. Also Metzer has a really good comparison chart for different breeds.

I switched my waterers to a cool whip container with holes in the lid and a milk jug with a hole half way up the side. They can still stick their heads in but can't spalsh as much water out. Eventually switched to two milk jugs.

Some people also put their waterer on a wire rack (like a cookie cooling rack) over a pan to catch the water.

I don't have a picture of the cool whip one but I just cut two holes in the lid. I never used the wire rack method. My ducklings out grew their brooder at 4 weeks and the coop wasn't ready. I moved them to the tub and here's a picture of the setup.

Last edited:
i am in big trouble! mine will def outgrow the brooder and i cant use the tub! yikes! i am doing the milk jug now! i hope thats ok for 2 week old! thanks for the pic<3

how old when they can go outside? can i use a plastic dog house for my coop do you think?

Back
Top Bottom