New to ducks!

ivyboo

Songster
5 Years
Apr 28, 2017
Toledo, Ohio
I bought 8 chicks and 1 duckling. I had already bought the Kent brand starter medicated food for the chicks. I was told to not feed the duck medicated food. I was going to go back and buy non-medicated right away. However, my dad and things I have read say the medicated is fine these days. I have also read I need to add niacin to the water. I want something the chicks and duckling can eat together. Do I need to get her new feed in the morning or will they be fine with what I have? If I need new food please lead me to which is best.

Medicated feed isn't really necessary for ducklings, however it is helpful for chicks to prevent coccidia.

And niacin/ B vitamins are super important for ducks, it can be found in the form of a powder, liquid drops, or even brewers yeast. They need it to develop correctly.

this is what you need to get from tractor supply. You really do need to get another duck or even better would be 2. Ducks are flock birds and need to be with their own kind to be happy and healthy.
IMG_0216.JPG

I bought 8 chicks and 1 duckling. I had already bought the Kent brand starter medicated food for the chicks. I was told to not feed the duck medicated food. I was going to go back and buy non-medicated right away. However, my dad and things I have read say the medicated is fine these days. I have also read I need to add niacin to the water. I want something the chicks and duckling can eat together. Do I need to get her new feed in the morning or will they be fine with what I have? If I need new food please lead me to which is best.

Ducklings can be fed most medicated starter feeds. I'd buy the duckling another friend that speaks his language as chickens and ducks are very different birds, that comes to another point, I wouldn't keep ducklings and chicks together when young due to the fact that ducks like to make a wet mess which can make a harmful environment to the chicks. Unless you're using a feed formulated for ducklings you should add Niacin to their diet, that could be in the form of Brewers yeast, Nutritional Yeast, a Poultry vitamin or B complex

Back
Top Bottom