New to geese, question about feed

MustLoveHens

Songster
10 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Albion, Wisconsin
I've always wanted a couple of geese and I'm contemplating getting some either next year or the following one. I've heard people say that geese need to be fed a vegetarian diet. Is that true or can they have some meat protein? I noticed the commercial feed I have in my area for waterfowl is more for ducks but have meat and bone meal in their formulas.
I understand that the geese will need access to pasture and that is no problem in spring, summer and fall but where I live, we get long snowy winters so I need to feed them a commercial feed.
Any in site you can give me I'd appreciate. Thanks for your time!

I'm looking at getting a pair of geese this year too and I've done quite some research so I'm prepared; Unfortunatley I don't have a concrete answer.

I too have heard that geese are strict vegetarians but I have heard they will happily eat bugs and slugs they find; Also, that they are quite like pigs in that they are very likely to eat almost anything you give them, whether it is good or bad for them or not.

Best stick with common sense and only feed them what you'd expect them to find in the wild.

Geese are vegetarians, but I don't think they'd be opposed to some meat and bone meal in their feed. None of my geese have eaten bugs (except a snail once by mistake; she was going for the shell), but one of them absolutely adored cat and dog kibble.

My geese get chicken layer feed during the winter - I haven't been able to find organic waterfowl feed around here.

My female goose loves dried meal worms my gander won't touch them. Any good commercial feed like All flock will work fine over winter and supplement with greens from the grocer. I buy mine romaine lettuce, Kale, collards, cabbage.

Agreed. Find a commercial feed that's readily available in your area and supplement with greens from time to time. Mine get whatever is on sale at the grocery store about two to three times a month. They don't have to have access to pasture but they will be much happier if they do. And it will cut down on their feed intake.

My geese share flockraiser with the chickens and free range in summer. On their own they eat greens, bugs, frogs, dead mice left by the cat, dog food (they sneak in the house), tadpoles, dead birds left by aforementioned cat....
Now that’s it’s hunting season they have been munching on deer hides and other bits of stuff they find...need to keep the skinning room door shut cause they’re the first ones to dive in to the treats.

I think they’re opportunistic as much as the chickens are, though in my case I plan to use the current trio for breeding and not eating, I think I’d keep them out of the meat if I was going to eat them.

Back
Top Bottom