New to geese

EggsnQuackers

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 12, 2012
NW Minnesota
We got our first goose a few weeks ago. I was told it's an 18 month old Production Toulouse female. I've done quite a bit of reading on geese but we've never actually had one before. So far she has been doing just fine hanging out with our ducks but eventually I would like to get her a goose friend. I've been considering my options and I would like some real world experiences/advice.

I haven't been able to find any other adult geese available in the area so I have been considering either ordering goslings or hatching eggs when they become available in the spring. Which option would you take? How are geese eggs to hatch compared to ducks and chickens? Any issues with shipped eggs? How about the mail-order goslings?
I'm also looking for recommendations on places to order from. My ducks all come from Holderread and we've used several places for chickens. What is your favorite place to get goslings and/or eggs from?

Thanks for any input.

Yes I"ve heard hatching is pretty hard-especially when those eggs are not cheap.

I had 4 goslings and an adult pair. The goslings were from Metzer. The adults wanted them so bad, I finally let them all be together. They acted like parents, then the 4 grew and now they are all a flock. I had put the goslings out when they could keep themselves warm. They were in a pen til they got bigger.

Back
Top Bottom