New to group and a new chicken mama

tnmcampbell

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2018
Hi All-

I am a proud new mama of 14 8-10 week old chickens. They grow up fast. We have always wanted to live on property and have a mini farm so when we relocated to Indiana that is what we did. We bought 10 acres and are starting our homesteading adventure. I wanted to start with only 4 chicks but as I started buying them I couldn't stop. :eek:
Eventually I did stop-I stopped at 14 for now. We have a temporary coop for them until we have our barn built. Once that is up and running I will have to get just a few more :clap
I have four different types, Rhode Island Red, Isa Brown, Plymouth Rock and Cinnamon Queens. I can tell you that the "Queen B's" are my least favorite. They are not very social and just like to peck and lunge at me. :mad:
My favorite are the Plymouth Rocks. Not only are they beautiful but they are so social and gentle:love
I would love to hear what your favorite breeds are and your least favorite.
If there are any tips of the trade I would love to hear them too.

Tammy

farmer-connie-chick.gif

Being prepared for a chicken medical emergency is so important.

Here is an excellent article right here on BYC, regarding what to have in your medical kit.
You will have your own preferences, as all keepers do.

/www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-first-aid-kits-handy-and-essential-supplies-and-how-to-use-them.64830/#comment-503853

Harsh weather, is another cause of stress affecting health, and it often plays a role in the death of chickens. So when building the coop you may want to have electrical access for Summer Fans, here in Southern California, extreme Summer heat requires me to run a misting system, also.

Because you are in an area where the Winters are extremely cold, with sub-zero temps, you will have to research as to what set up is best for your chickens. Learn how to avoid frost bite and hypothermia. Members experienced raising chickens in extreme cold weather, will have the best advice. I am not qualified to advise you on this. The coldest it got here this Winter, was 38 degrees F. But, Proper ventilation will play a very important role, as it does, even here.

I hope this is helpful.

God Bless:)

Back
Top Bottom