New to integrating new chicks with my hens

chiknlittl

Chirping
Jun 14, 2016
Central Florida
Hi friends. I have 3 "groups" of girls --- my 1 year old free rangers (4 hens plus 1 sweet bantam rooster), my 8 week olds (6 hens, hopefully) and my 4 week olds (4 hens, hopefully). The 8 weekers have been outside for 4 weeks now and in a separate coop at night. The 4 weekers have been outside during the day for a week but inside at night. I am wondering if I should integrate the 4 weekers with the 8 weekers first, or the 8 weekers with the year olds. This is my first time integrating, so any help or tips you have are much appreciated! Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hi there! I would integrate the 4 & 8 week chicks together first and let them grow until they are approximately the same size as your yearlings. That would take them to almost point of lay. I suggest this for 2 reasons. First, chicks need higher protein levels in their feed than your hens, and secondly, hens can be pretty fierce in their pecking order politics. Making sure that the chicks are mostly grown will keep them safer. Chicks themselves don't seem to be too bad to integrate. They might pick on the littles a bit, but not enough to seriously damage them. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom