new to it all ... chicken wire in or out side of run??

It doesn't matter but you should consider using a type of welded wire, chicken wire will keep your chickens in but will not keep predators out, most predators can rip through it in no time.

I am fairly new to this too and what I have read in a lot of books and online is you need to bury your fencing or hardware cloth at least 12 inches in the ground around the coop and run to keep predators from digging under and getting your chickens.

It doesn't matter but you should consider using a type of welded wire, chicken wire will keep your chickens in but will not keep predators out, most predators can rip through it in no time.

I second the idea up upgrading the chicken wire to welded wire. 1/2" hardware wire is a common choice for chicken coops. Its not too expensive, and will hold up much better to raccoons, dogs, cats, bobcats, coyotes, opposums, or whatever you have in your neck of the woods!

With the wire on the inside a predator can use their body weight to help push the wire in. I apply the same theory to the peopled door by making mine swing out.

With the wire on the inside a predator can use their body weight to help push the wire in.  I apply the same theory to the peopled door by making mine swing out.

Exactly what I was going to say. It depends on the predator you are protecting from. If you've got larger predators that will lean on the chicken wire/hardware cloth, then putting it on the inside just makes it easier to for them to breach. Putting it on the outside will prohibit them from using their weight to push their way in.

Chicken wire is just that, "chicken wire"
For exterior fencing, placing about a foot of turned up welded wire in ground ( buried) than proceed up. My choice would be three feet of "hardware cloth) fort buried in ground, turned up to discourage critters from digging. Over lap at top of hardware cloth with welded wire, I like at least a 14 gauge. For a top covering to discourage flying critters ( hawks) I use chicken wire, doubled up.

Back
Top Bottom