new to quail help with a couple questions :)

wildriverswolf90

Songster
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
polk county, NC
As the title says I'm new to raising quail. I have 12 two week old coturnix quail chicks.
1) when can I put them in a play pen on the grass? With my chickens I start bringing them outside for 'playtime' when they are roughly 2 weeks old.
2) I have two five foot long by 18 inches wide by 14 inches tall.... will these make good quail pens? And how many could I keep in each pen?
3) My feed store doesn't carry game bird starter...... they will order some for me, but in the mean time will 20% chick starter be enough or what can I do to add more protien?
Thank you :)

As the title says I'm new to raising quail. I have 12 two week old coturnix quail chicks.
1) when can I put them in a play pen on the grass? With my chickens I start bringing them outside for 'playtime' when they are roughly 2 weeks old.
2) I have two five foot long by 18 inches wide by 14 inches tall.... will these make good quail pens? And how many could I keep in each pen?
3) My feed store doesn't carry game bird starter...... they will order some for me, but in the mean time will 20% chick starter be enough or what can I do to add more protien?
Thank you
smile.png
1. Coturnix will need a sturdy pen than chicken and make sure to not house them with the chicken. I would wait until they are at least 4 weeks of age before letting them on the grass. Make sure they are in a pen that they cannot fly out or squeeze through. Around 2 weeks they can fly out and will not come back to you unless you make a huge effort.

2. The rule of thumb for Coturnix is 1 square foot per bird. I like to add more space per bird though.

3. You will not get adequate growth with the chick starter but as a temp it will be ok. I would add boiled egg as a protein boost and mealworms as a supplement. Alfalfa sprouts will also be a good supplement as well.

Okay thank you so much. These guys are in ttheir own brooder away from chickens, I will build them their own ground pen :)
I will ad the boiled eggs, and lucky me I just started raising mealworms too :)

1) I have never had mine on the ground, so cant help you with this one. I don't think it would be a good idea to keep them with chickens.

2) I agree with one square foot per bird.

3) I have used nothing but 20% chick starter grower for years and haven't had any issues with it.

Back
Top Bottom