New to quail

Jdunba

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2015
Hi, I am new to quail. I have two hens that are not laying as of today. I have a male/female set up elsewhere that are laying (12 eggs thus far). I added a male to my hens yesterday and now one hen attacks the other, I presume for the male. Any thoughts or suggestions? They are bobwhite quail, and I initially just had hens because I only wanted eggs. Since they were not laying I thought adding a male may help. (Made biological sense not to lay if no male was there to fertilize). Thoughts? I have read where other people wit bobs have a male to two females. Maybe I added the male too late in the season?

Thanks, but my hens are not laying. I don't know what is different. They eat the same food, have the same light....why might they not lay? Thanks!

Thanks, but my hens are not laying. I don't know what is different. They eat the same food, have the same light....why might they not lay? Thanks!
How old are your birds? Bobs wont lay unless they are close to 30 weeks old when breeding season begins, if they are too young they'll hold off till next season.

What sort of environmental stress might be happening to one cage that isn't happening to the other?

The most common cause of game birds not laying, when all other things are equal, is stress (assuming they are even old enough to lay). They see differently than we do, in that their eyes pick up much more color, so it could be something they see bothering them. They also aren't big on unfiltered repetitive noises like running water with no other sound, or tarps flapping in the wind etc. There is also the possibility of predators prowling around causing it too, or even a cat or dog bothering them.

Bobs are very aggressive birds and it's not a good idea to mix their social structure up without doing it a certain way. When introducing a new bird you should leave it caged next to the others in full sight for a couple weeks, then switch all the birds to a cage none have ever been in. This will help eliminate their desire to defend their territory. All game birds should be integrated in a similar fashion to what I described, if you want to avoid the fighting.

The bobs were hatched last July - they are from the same set as the other bobs that are laying.

Environmental stressors are certainly possible they are in a sunroom so they are not exposed to predators. I am sure they can hear the dog barking on occasion. The dog passes through the sunroom and they come out to check out the dog - don't act scared - and they greet me when I feed and clean them. Though they seem calm enough to me perhaps that is the issue.

Thanks on the input about introducing new birds. I have removed the male now, hoping that calm returns. Right now the one female is still aggressive during the day, but at night the two females hunker down together.

Thanks again for the help - we will see how it goes and if I can remove the stress they may be experiencing.

... quail will react when there are sudden environmental changes, such as being moved from one cage to another, too much light, not enough light, change in feed. They may also be molting. Just be patient, and they will lay when "they" are ready.
James

I will be patient but I have to say its tough! They also act "unsettled" in the morning and evening. They will quickly come to eat the food I put on their wood bark (I do this to give them a somewhat natural foraging experience in addition to the food in the feeder). They enjoy treats...but definitely pace early and late in the day. I appreciate the feedback I am getting. Thank you...

Back
Top Bottom