New to raising baby chicks my hens sitting on a fertile egg!

phoebs

Chirping
7 Years
May 30, 2012
tamworth (Australia)
I ve got more eggs but i dont think i can put them under her because the eggs would be a week apart!!
idunno.gif
and iwant to know what to do

You're right. She would abandon the newer eggs, usually the day after the first ones hatched.

Mark the ones you want her to hatch and keep all others out of the nest. A good broody will sit up to 8 weeks so don't worry if it means she sits a bit longer.

Yes, you have a decision to make. You can let her try to hatch that one egg or you can remove and discard that egg, mark all the eggs you want her to try to hatch, and start them at the same time. Then check under her every day to remove any unmarked eggs.

You might try candling around Day 8 to see if that one is developing to help you make your decision. Usually I can tell if an egg is developing by Day 8.

Good luck!!!!

Then you have made your decision. After a week you cannot put more eggs under her and expect them to hatch. As Flockwatcher said, the hen will abandon the eggs after the first chick hatches, usually the next day, certainly within two. The hen has to take the chicks that have hatched to find food and water.

If she has gone broody once, she may go broody again later. Next time she or one of your others goes broody, collect all the eggs you want her to hatch and start them all at the same time. You can put fake eggs like golf balls under her while you are collecting and marking the real eggs. After this experience you know much better what to do next time, but your opportunity this time has passed.

Back
Top Bottom