New to raising chickens!

cindy65

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 10, 2009
Tacoma Washington
Hi,
I'm a brand new chicken mama.
I have eleven two month old chicks and ten one week old chicks! I love them all, but especially my two silkies!
Please tell me how to get them to become comfortable around me. I read all the stories of people holding their chickens on their laps and I am jealous....

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC!!
yippiechickie.gif

In a word: TREATS!!!

I go out several times a day and give my girls little treats like veggie peelings, scratch, weeds, leftover cooked rice, yogurt, hard cooked eggs, etc.

Good Luck!
Cindy

Welcome to BYC and raising chickens:)

I always start very young, day one basically. Hold them and pet them often and give them treats...Good luck!

I sat down with them every day for a while and they got used to me. When they were over a month old I started offering treats and they bcame friendlier....piggies. I still sit down on the steps off the porch every day and have treats for them and 3 of the five come right up to me and let me pet them, the other two don't like to be touched......As they have gotten older and figured out that I give them treats they have been following me around, come running when they see me and are much tamer. Some jump om my lap when I sit down with treats but not all of them

Back
Top Bottom