New to site and 1st flock of hens!

I know from research the the sex-links are not breeds but I didn't know how well they laid eggs compared to pure breeds! I would love to know how the cocks from this hybrid mix are though!

The cocks are nothing special. Black Sex Links are produced by crossing a red gene rooster (usually a Rhode Island Red) with a barred gene hen (usually a Barred Rock). The mature roosters in this cross look much like Barred Rocks and have essentially the same temperament as BR roosters. Red Sex Links are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen (the breed can vary depending on which label the hatcheries market them under). The mature roosters in this cross are typically white with some reddish feathering in the saddle area. The temperament of RSL roosters tends to vary a little more than it does with BSL roosters due to the wider variety of breeds used in producing them. Both sex link types are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. The one drawback to the sex links is--since they are hybrids, they will not breed true when bred to each other.

Back
Top Bottom