New to the chicken life, so many questions

May 4, 2023
Hi I am new to this page and to the chicken life. My wife purchased 6 sapphire splash chicks along with 2 cayuga ducklings. We have a 10 x 14 shed that we will be converting into a coop. How much would I need to section off to make a comfortable coop for the hens and 2 ducks? Also here is my plan for a run, I want to do privacy fence on 2 sides, one side will be attached to the shed, the 4th side will have 1/4 hardware cloth, I am digging an 18 inch deep trench the whole way around it and filling that with cement, there will also be a 24 inch apron, what size run would be ok for all 8, there will also be a part for the kiddie pool for the 2 ducks and the top will be covered with corrugated plastic.

Diagrams or pictures might help us help you. Also, if you search on some of the terms you've used (privacy fence, trench, 1/4 hardware cloth), you may get some good information in the searches.

Diagrams or pictures might help us help you. Also, if you search on some of the terms you've used (privacy fence, trench, 1/4 hardware cloth), you may get some good information in the searches.
Thanks my main concern are sizes, i have a 10 x 14 shed that I am trying to section off and not sure how much I would need for 6 hens and 2 ducks and what size run I would need. Building the actual run isn't an issue for me, it is the proper size of it and the coop.

We have a 10 x 14 shed that we will be converting into a coop.
Weeeellll, that depends.
You may want more birds down the road, and it's always good to have 'extra' space to make handling conflicts much easier.

There's a lot to consider when housing poultry.
Do you need to store other things in the shed?
Ducks make a wet mess, not so good for chickens.

Some pics of the shed might help here, inside and out up and down.
I don't think you'll need both the 18" deep barrier as well as an apron.
Ventilation is key, so us knowing your climate will get you better advice.
So.... Welcome to BYC! @CluckCluckandaDuck
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1683292821086.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom