New to the chicken world and looking for advice....

I only use bio-baters and I have found the less I interfere the higher the hatch rate. I use a dog kennel (the small type that one would use in the house to keep the dog at night) It is a medium size for this style. I did put a shelf in it that is big enough to hold the water fountain. Otherwise the fountain ends up with litter in it everyday. I keep the broody hens separated from the flock and in a lower light area. Keeping her separate prevents other girls from making a deposit. It also removes any need to peak at the eggs while in the nest. I use the kennel so I can keep the hen on the nest. I have had broody hens change their mind after a few days without the cage. I do have to clean out any poop as it comes along. There is room for her to get off the nest to void, but broody poo is nasty and BIG. Mine do not poop every day and usually go several days without pooping. I can tell you that within hours of the chicks hatching, there will be the nastiest chicken poop you will ever encounter.

The normal incubation period is 21 days, but I had a clutch go for 26 days this summer and it was a 100% hatch. The article that ddawn posted a link to is an excellent article. The guy has several good articles.

I keep the chicks in that brooder box for a week. I do not use any heat source but I do put rocks in the fountain to prevent drowning, but only for the first week. In the second week, I move mother & babies to a brooder coop where they have their own run. They are in that run with the gate closed into week three. No absolute number on this one. The mother lets me know when they need to expand their range. Once I open the gate, the rest is up to the mother. She will eventually introduce the chicks to the rest of the flock. There is rarely any introduction crisis. The mother will protect them. My broody hens become very aggressive with kids in tow.

It is a VERY low maintenance technique. I have never had a problem with poopy butt or any other chick ailment with this method. The key is the broody/mother hen.

Good luck 7 enjoy.

Loving all this great advice and encouragement. I'm excited to watch nature take it's course.

Question on what you all think is better. Buying a second outside coop and letting the broody stay in it alone on her eggs, then raising her chicks in it....OR.....putting her and her nest in the garage in the old kiddie swimming pool brooder I used when my current birds were chicks. They couldn't be outside in that because they wouldn't be safe from predators, but I could make her a nest in it and it's plenty big enough to get up and walk around in. She would be totally separated from her mates though. It's about 70 degrees in the garage too due to the tortoise that resides in the room with her heat light.
I will need a second small coop if I want to add 2-3 to my flock anyway and that would at least be in the area of the existing coop. I could easily do either way, but will need to get a second coop in place before one goes broody. What would you do?

Quote:
1. There is no need to keep eggs warm just keep them from freezing. If you need to wrap them in a towel and keep the temp in the car cool but not too cool nor to warm.

2. You should slide the eggs under her at night and in the dark, use a flashlight and shine it indirectly, just enough so you can see.

3. It is best to seperate her from the flock, to prevent other hens from laying extra eggs, that may or may not be fertile. (depending on whether you have a rooster or not) DO THIS AT NIGHT AND IN THE DARK. She will be calmer and won't freak out.

4. It takes 21 days for chicken eggs to hatch, longer or shorter for other breeds of poultry. (Ducks, Geese, etc. etc. )

5. I have never had to move a hen once she has settled in, she knows what she is doing, just provide her with food and water and let her do her thing. She will get up to take care of her bathroom duties as she needs to. I HAVE NEVER FOUND A HEN DEAD IN THE NEST WHILE BROODING EGGS.

6. I had a hen hatch 2/2 last winter with below zero temps and she did fine.

While opinions differ I have NEVER found it necessary to disturb a broody hen while she does her thing.

7. Most likely she will be a good and protective mother, which means you may not be able to touch her chicks or she will bite you. Some breeds are more friendly than others and it can depend on whether she trusts you.

8. The number of eggs you choose should be enough to guarantee the number of pullets you would like. I'd recommend 6.

9. A unheated garage would work fine, if she will remain undisturbed by man or beast.

Remember you can not "make" a hen go broody so you must strike while the iron is hot.

Hope this helps

Rancher

It has been my experience that if a hen goes broody and WANTS to hatch a clutch, she will find a nesting place and do it. Sometimes they pick very strange places to nest. My point is, there is no RIGHT answer. It is what will work for you and your broody. I would be skeptical with the pool though (for use with my hens). Mine choose secluded private spots. Also I like to keep my hens committed with a secured enclosure. I have had broodies change their mind for what ever reason prior to the hatch. There is a considerable amount of effort that goes into getting the eggs YOU want to hatch, to coincide with a broody hen and in this area we are limited to about six good months of hatch time.

Once your eggs hatch, the hard part is over. It has been my experience that once the chicks are out, there is little you can do short of separating the chicks from hen to get to do anything but provide for her babies. I have had hens not agree with the nesting arrangement I provide for her to raise her babies and moved them to a more suitable location. Kinda scary when you don't get advanced notice of intent to move, and you go to check on them and they are gone without a trace.
barnie.gif

I'll not say that my methods are the RIGHT method, but they work for me and my girls. The girls are way better at this hatching thing than I am, so I just provide the essentials and leave them to there methods. This is also still a work in progress here. I'm always interested in what works for other chicken wranglers so keep us posted.

Quote:
OK, so here is a picture I took this summer of the ladies old brooder. I have a private room in my garage it can reside in, though I'm leaning towards getting a second coop. The first picture was taken when my current stock were littles and the second was a 102 degree afternoon last summer where I let them come in and cool off for a few hours. Boy, did they love getting out of the heat! heheh
56181_img_8602.jpg

56181_img_9024.jpg

Last edited:
Aawww...That looks like something that would work. I didn't realize the pool had a box in it.
thumbsup.gif
I'm sure you will figure out what will work. I can tell you it is not rocket science. When my girls go broody, they are going to set on something! A private room might work better, but as long as the area is not grand central and kinda peaceful, I think it will be fine. I do socialize with my setting birds a few times a week, usually when I refill their food bowl. All of my bio-bators are used to me scratching their wattles when I feed them. They still squeak some, but are by no means aggressive, where as initially they would try to take fingers off.

It looks like you are on the right track and I'll be looking for updates. Good Luck to you & your ladies.

I really want this coop, only without the existing chickens the guy is offering. I think this would be so cute in my chicken side-yard......unfortunately, I've emailed the guy three times with no response. I just think it's adorable. You're right, can't have too many coops.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/grd/2090539345.html

I want to thank everybody for all the advice. This is sounding doable! I thought my black australorp was going broody as she sat on the nest all morning, but when I lifted her off and she figured out I had let the others into the backyard to forage, she decided playing with her sisters was more fun..

Last edited:
They finally replied and they want to keep their chickens! Woot Woot. Now I have to figure out how to get the behemoth the 33 miles. Best 40th Birthday present to myself ever..

Back
Top Bottom