new to the duck/duckling world

arnr1530

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 28, 2013
North Carolina
hello,
I am very new to the duck/ duckling world... i was hoping anyone could give me any great advice my new babies are coming home tuesday with our chicks .... i am not new to the chicken world i have had a backyard flock for 4 yrs now and decided i wanted to add ducks to my backyard loves!!! I would love to hear from anyone about have new ducklings what to expect etc....
thank you very much

Hi, so ducklings are very similar to chickens. Some main differences: ducks don't need a heat lamp as long (typically only 2-4 weeks depending on weather), ducks absolutely cannot have medicated food it kills them, ducks make messes with water, ducks are more cold hardy, ducks don't get sick as easily. When you bring you new ducklings home get them in their brooder asap, give them food and water. After a couple days you can give them a short (2-4 min) swim in your sink or bathtub. Make sure the water is warm but no too hot. Afterwards towel dry them and get them back in the brooder with the heat lamp on. If you so desire I find that ducklings enjoy being blow dried. Put in on low on medium heat about 6-12 inches away from the ducklings. Ducklings love to swim and get in their water so make sure the water isn't deep/wide enough for the ducklings to drown in. You'll probably end up cleaning the brooder more than with chickens because they make bigger, wetter, smellier messes more often than chicken chicks. If you have any more questions please ask, I'm more than happy to help!
Good Luck,
Bailey1204

Hi, so ducklings are very similar to chickens. Some main differences: ducks don't need a heat lamp as long (typically only 2-4 weeks depending on weather), ducks absolutely cannot have medicated food it kills them, ducks make messes with water, ducks are more cold hardy, ducks don't get sick as easily. When you bring you new ducklings home get them in their brooder asap, give them food and water. After a couple days you can give them a short (2-4 min) swim in your sink or bathtub. Make sure the water is warm but no too hot. Afterwards towel dry them and get them back in the brooder with the heat lamp on. If you so desire I find that ducklings enjoy being blow dried. Put in on low on medium heat about 6-12 inches away from the ducklings. Ducklings love to swim and get in their water so make sure the water isn't deep/wide enough for the ducklings to drown in. You'll probably end up cleaning the brooder more than with chickens because they make bigger, wetter, smellier messes more often than chicken chicks. If you have any more questions please ask, I'm more than happy to help!
Good Luck,
Bailey1204

thank you so much ... iam still unsure about a few things... i have read that you can put a small swimming dish/ bowl in the brooder with them and others say not to just give them swim time as you suggested til they are about 4 wks so they dont drown ? also if i get the unmedicated chick feed should i add the yeast every day to there food ? also, about how old will they be okay to go outside in their new coop? i was gonna put them with the chickens but ive decided against it ..... thank you

also, i had read you should put a small plush toy in with them in the brooder to cuddle up to ? is that safe or will they be okay i am only gettin to to start ?

Back
Top Bottom