New to the forum. With a possible dilemma

shaunmac

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Hello everybody.
I'm Shaun from Lincolnshire, UK.
Recently invested in 4 hens (about 8 weeks ago), then unfortunately one got sick and i had to get rid.
So yesterday, i went and got 3 more, from the same auction i bought the originals from.
My dilemma is that i fear i may have bought a cockerel without realising when i originally bidded.
All looked okay when i picked them up, but on closer examination this morning, ive noticed that one of the newly bought warrens looks suspiciously like a cockerel.
Firstly, heres a few pics of my original 4 and their new home.

And heres the possible cockerel culprit.
Anyone got any advice? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Shaun

So far it looks like a hen. But that crest is a little odd, though many hens have crests even larger than that. The wattles are petite for that breed, many hens also have larger wattles. If you can provide the age of the hen would help. It's possible it's a very late developing cockerel.

I couldn't get a sharp enough image of the feathering to see for sure but didn't see any surefire male feathering.
And hello, and
welcome-byc.gif

Best wishes.

Looks like a hen to me as well. I would expect to see some signs of saddle feathers and a more pronounced tail.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
Unfortunately there wasn't an age specified on the auction where I got them from. I know my originals (blackrocks and Orpington) are pullets.
So far it's 2-1 of it being a hen then, that's giving me a bit more satisfaction!
Haven't heard it cooing, or for that matter, making any noise

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
Unfortunately there wasn't an age specified on the auction where I got them from. I know my originals (blackrocks and Orpington) are pullets.
So far it's 2-1 of it being a hen then, that's giving me a bit more satisfaction!
Haven't heard it cooing, or for that matter, making any noise

If you can get photos showing the feathering on neck, shoulders, and rump/tail clearly, you'll know for sure what gender it is. It looks rather rough-feathered for a young bird, I'd think it's either heading into moult or has been fed a really crappy diet. Either way a male that age should be showing some obvious male feathering. But some are really slow developers, especially when fed very poor diets.

Best wishes.

images

Welcome to BYC!

I am also going to vote for pullet/hen. I have hens with huge combs like that. From what I can see comparing the leg sizes of the other birds, the legs look the same size to me. Legs on a cockerel/roo are like tree trunks compared to pullets. This bird seems to have the same size legs. I am not seeing any saddle feathers or hackle feathers, yet, but yes, if you can get some pics looking down on the bird, this would help greatly. So I am leaning toward hen.

Good luck and I will be hoping she stays a she!

Back
Top Bottom