New to the world of chickens and BYC

HFOrganicFarms

Hatching
Jan 26, 2015
Hello everyone! My name is Kasee and, lowkey, I've been using this website for a few months now and what prompted me to register and become active is because I have a few questions that hasn't been asked yet.

Anyway, short introduction: we started a organic farm a year and a few weeks ago, and we integrated chickens in the summer. We have 27 hens that recently started laying, and 6 roosters. I have 13 Wyandottes (hens), and 13 Rhode Island Reds (hens), and a mixed hen.

I really enjoy chickens, they are so much fun and bring a lot of character and joy to the farm.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to cultivate a healthy relationship between the farm and this website.

Hi :welcome
Glad you could join the flock! You have a lovely flock there! Chickens are great for bringing fun and enjoyment, the chicken TV is excellent! I can spend hours just watching them going about their business. Be sure to ask all the questions you have, everyone here to help. Hope you enjoy BYC I am sure you will :frow

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

You seem to have a lovely flock! Wyandottes are my favorite breed of chicken, and I hope you enjoy yours!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. You have some very good layers, but you might want to cut the number of roosters in half. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature, too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10 hens in this regard. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom