new turkey with yucky diarrhea

runswithbuffalo

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 22, 2012
Hello,

So, I inherited a Bronze breasted butthead turkey from my dad. The butthead part is that he wants to attack me all the time but loves my hubby (background info) Anyhoo, I purchased a female BB from someone to give Butthead a friend and, for the most part, it is going well. Sadly, Butthead still wants to kill me but, Loretta Leggs likes me. (Again, some background=D) Anyhoo, the woman I bought her from said she was eating all the time. Well, maybe it is because she is pooping it all out just as quickly...duh! Leggs has very stinky, large yellowish piles of diarrhea. I haven't been able to do a fecal yet but, thought I might see if anyone might have any ideas on what to do. I was hoping that it might just be a diet change but it has been almost 2 weeks now. I am super worried that she is going to pass whatever she has on to everyone else.

Thank you=D

http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_health.asp

Above is a good site to look up sickness in fowl.
I was unable to find the blog but there is a member cant remember his name his ICON picture is a guy cross dressed in woman's clothing I know it sounds weird but he had some good information on Turkeys droppings and there colors reference health and diet of the birds.
I hope you get the info that you need.

Hah, couldn't find the cross dresser
lau.gif
but some great info! Thank you for the link.

Hey that's me~
Yeah my Icon is pretty crazy, then again so am I.
Its a very funny character from a British TV show my wife introduced me to. Put it up as an avatar somewhere else and it has just kinda stuck ever since.
Little Britain is the name, check it out if you have the time.

Back to the Turkey poop (one of a number of things I'd never thought I'd say)
The Yellow color kinda concerns me. I had quite a rainbow in my limited days, but it was constantly rotating with diet.
Any idea what she ate before you got her? What is she eating now? I hope it's yellow.

From what I've seen the color and type of the food really influences the droppings.
Is it all yellow or just the chunky poo parts? If its all yellow it could be more than just a reaction to a diet change. Plus if she's eating well it should have returned to normal after a couple weeks.

How old is she? I'm guessing past the teenager stage. We also had a couple chicks who had way more cacel poo than they should have and never really grew right. They were really cute, but I guess it wasnt meant to be as they never spread any or showed signs of a disease, but passed on at about hatchling size after a couple weeks. (still really miss them)
So constant odd poo can also be attributed to a growth disorder in young ones. (again only according to my experience)

If I were you I'd try a feed change and try to keep her isolated at least at night. This will give you a chance to watch for any changes easier and keep the majority of droppings away from others. If no one else has caught it you're either lucky or its a single bird problem.
I'd also recommend wild greens, some really odd ones. This will also lead to some runny poo, but it should be green and a little thick and help her clean out the system just in case.
I also had some rabbit feed that I gave my turkeys when they had trouble transitioning feed, helped them clear everything up. (then again that was just a trial, never found any hard facts on if rabbit feed was bad for turkeys. Although according to the poo rainbow, it was magical)

Hope this helps and the avatar doesnt scare ya too much. (lol)

Last edited:
Ohhhhh, the avatar story is great!! I will check out the show, I love British comedy!
big_smile.png

Yah, I never really thought I would be discussing turkey poop in such detail....ah, the lives we lead. Wouldn't have it any other way, though!

I don't know what she was eating before but the place she came from was pretty trashy and I don't think she was well cared for. I am feeding Purina Flock Raiser which is kinda tannish yellow however, I am transitioning to a much better feed, natural grains, no soy, no corn, no gmo. My chickies love it and the geese and turkeys are a bit more reluctant.

The lady didn't know her actual age but thinks maybe hatched early spring??? She is pretty big. She still has a good appetite. She is free ranging during the day and has started eating grass and dandelions since I started changing the food. She is pretty active and seems to be feeling ok. I haven't seen her poo today....will have to go look around....exciting, huh???

Thank you for all of your info! I will report back after my poop finding mission.
lau.gif

Jessie

PS Sorry to hear about your little chickies. Funny how we get so attached to these critters!

Oh, and I am beginning to think Loretta Leggs is actually Leon Leggs. She has been strutting around, gobbling and strumming. I guess She is feeling lots better. Hmmmmm, guess we are in for a name change. By the way, these are the first turkeys I have ever raised.....I have lots of learing to do!

CHAMBERTIN

I am glad you didn't take insult when I was trying to Describe your Avatar and not you.

I was just trying to help this poor woman out with her yellow poop problem Runswithbuffalo.
B
ut the way she talks I think she is the one with the cross dresser if now Loretta Leggs is actually Leon Leggs LOL.

Best of luck with the Turkey Trotts
lau.gif
I,m sorry my sense of humor some times gets the best of me I hope everything comes out alright.

Last edited:
Hah, cross dressing turkey. Of course I would own a cross dressing turkey, that just makes sense.....I once had a rooster named (ambiguously), Pat, that thought he was a hen and would take care of all the chickies...sigh..........too funny
lau.gif

By the way, as if on cue, Loretta Leon pooped right as I went to check on her/him. Poo looks fairly normal, smaller, clumped and not so stinky. I think we may be doing fine with the new feed.

Thanks y'all for a VERY funny and informative little thread!!!!!!!

Okay, there must be sumthin' in the air today.....one of my 11 week old "hens" just jumped up on the waterer and let out a creaky errr errrr errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

So, I ordered 2 roos and 28 hens and now after looking at everyone a little closer, it looks like 4 roos. sigh......hope we can all just get along.....
My list is now 22 hens (4 died) and 4 roos (I think I will post a pic of my Light Brahma..still not sure if pullet or roo), 3 geese, 1 butthead turkey &1 cross dresser turkey.....don't even get me started on my eclectic group of bison and cats........
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom