New (Unexpected chick) have big questions

mama3

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 30, 2008
East Central IL
I need some advice. Here's the scoop...
Had a broody barred rock. After unsuccessful attempts to make her not broody, we decided to put some eggs under her. We were most confident that the banty eggs might be fertile (we have 2 banty hens, and 3 banty roos). We put 5 eggs under her 27 days ago. Day 20 she decided to leave the nest:
roll.png
Then our little silky girl got broody and sat on them again (took over I guess). Now at different times through this process, eggs have gone missing and sweet DD decided to add eggs to the bunch!! Well, went to the bird swap in Kankakee today. Came home with 2 more adult layers. Went in to check on the others and lo and behold.....a baby chick!! It was in the original nesting box with the other 6 eggs, but the silky was in a different nest. I put the eggs and the chick back under her. Is this the right thing to do? Do I need to do anything else? How will it eat and drink? Will she take care of it, or do I need to take over?
So excited about this. I almost bought eggs today to put under these two, but changed my mind. Would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks everyone!

Anybody? I'm worried about this little guy/gal. Do I need to separate the mama and baby out of the coop shared by 11 other birds? They free range all day and are only in the coop together at night.

I have never hatched eggs.

Is the hen taking care of the chick? If not I would say to remove her since it needs to stay warm.

If she is taking care of the chick and the other hens are leaving her alone then let them be.

As of right now, it is still under her. I guess that is taking care of it (?). It's warm. How soon do I need to make sure it's eating and drinking? Tomorrow? If she leaves it alone in the nest again, should I put it under my other broody (barred rock) who is currently refusing to leave the nest even though she has no eggs under her right now?

You are going to have to provide the chick with chick starter feed and a water source close by.
Make sure the chick can not drown in the water source by adding marbles.

If the "mama" hen isn't keeping it under her to keep it warm you'll need to put it in a brooder, for the first week it needs a 95 degree enviroment, decrease the temp by 5 degrees every week.

If you put the chick under another hen she may take care of it or she may kill it.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! I think we will isolate them from the others. We have a very bossy, queenie-type hen in there. (She's not named Big-Bertha for nothin'!) So I fear for the safety of this little silkie and baby!

That is a great idea always separate broodies and eggs from the main flock either to break them or let them hatch chicks.

Henry

Back
Top Bottom