New waterer and feeder! (And slight troubles w/waterer)

Thank you! Think it was a little less than halfway so decided to just go ahead and fill it all the way and we'll see :)

And maybe stupid question but how will we know if it's leaking? Large amounts of water missing? Or water on the sides? Or?

Forgot to post but my dad got mad cause it was too much weight for the sink (he had said it earlier but i didn't think there was a real reason) and wanted to put it outside but so we just decided to empty it and he said if it leaks, we'll find out when it's out there. I think that's kind of stupid but oh well hahah now to find a warm stretch to test it in

And the barred rock usually leads the way i have noticed, in fact, free ranging yesterday, she tried to head in the woods a few times and slowly some others followed then when she decided to come back and half flew to this one section, everybody followed. Leading them to trouble and misbehavior :p but they do also have their own groups so don't always hang out together but she seems to be a bit of a leader. But sometimes they hang out by color so all the tan girls (the 3 Orpingtons and the similarly colored Easter Egger) and the black girls (the Barred Rock and 2 Black Australorps) will wander off together. Or the 2 Easter Eggers (ones white but stripey, both are) will hang out. But the white one isn't similarly colored to the other girls so is kind of left out lol but she will hang with the barred rock and Australorps sometime. Sorry rambling now haha

Last edited:
How did it do? I am hoping it held up for you.
Yes water missing or water in the sink-tub-on the ground around it would be the signs.

There always seems to be one leader in the pack lol flock. The one in mine that is pushiest is the white leghorn go figure lol. Funny how they sort themselves by color too.

Good luck with the waterer!

Not sure yet! I fell back asleep :/ lol

And yup, it definitely is funny! I guess with no roo one has to take over lol and yeah, it's so odd! Yet funny

And thanks!

And turns out someone put the new waterer out already. I'm kind of annoyed because I wanted to do it and it's also ground level instead of neck height and the other waterer is still out there

BUT

Watching from the bathroom window (just woke up... fell back asleep :/ ) they appear to already understand it and are pecking at it!!! Although they do still drink from the other waterer lol they do both.

Well at least it is interesting to them. You can make adjustments to raise it up like putting cinder blocks under it. It was nice someone set it out for you.

Yeah, it's definitely a good sign. And yeah, that's true, I gotta find some. And yeah I know theoretically it should be njce, and technically is, that they did that so normally I would appreciate it but it's just it wasn't entirely necessary, especially if the other waterer is still out there, and I'm also going somewhere tonight and probably staying overnight so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to teach it atm? But then again they don't know that so maybe i should thank them when they get home but still

Filled it more and plopped it up on some different looking bricks (2 longer ones with holes and glued together) and a block of wood (it was ground level) but I still feel like it's too low or at least, not neck height. I don't know, thoughts? Maybe I'm getting too hung up on neck height? The instructions said it. But is it important for gravity so the water flows into their mouths better or is it just to make it easier for them? I can find other things to stack it on but I don't know. The good news though is they seem to be picking it up instantly! Maybe it's because they had it all morning but still, i showed them and especially the Orpingtons and Easter Egger seemed interested then the Barred Rock. Some of them were still trying to drink the water spilled while demontrating or peck the bucket or red bit but most caught on. I almost feel like training on vertical nipples would maybe be easier because the nipple is more obvious, with these, the silver bit is sort of hidden and they want to peck at the red part so I feel like it's harder. But they are catching on. The Australorps are a bit slow but I feel pretty good they'll catch on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom