New Wood Ducks. Help!

Yeah, I unintentionally got in over my head and if I could go back I wouldn't do this. But since I have them I am committed to providing the best care for them that I can. I won't just drop them off somewhere unable to fend for themselve. I have a nice 2 acre lot with a pond and a trout stream. I'll do my best and let you guys know how it goes, good or bad.

I appreciate the helpful feedback and if anyone else has any other ideas I'd appreciate hearing them.

I think they need a warning that says "these are fully grown wild ducks and cannot be kept like domestics. Not for beginners" But I have to shoulder the blame for being overly ambitious.

Take a look at small greenhouse/hoophouse frames. These can easily be covered in wire and doors installed to make nice, small avairies for a pair or two of wild ducks. Wood ducks don't require a ton of water. A pair will thrive in a quiet aviary with a large rubber bowl as a pond. Avoid keeping them with domestic ducks as wild species tend to get bullied by the domestic breeds and keeping any water source clean around domestic ducks is nearly impossible.

Good luck!

DT

I have moved the two wood ducks out to a stall in the barn. I put some straw down which they don't use and a heat lamp out, they don't use it either. They are eating and drinking. Last night I trapped and relocated a possum and a large feral cat. I'm still working on predator-proofing the place. I didn't expect to have anything out there for another month. I'm doing the best I can and they appear healthy for the moment.

Back
Top Bottom