New

rexwabbits

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 15, 2014
Lyndon, Kansas
Hi, well I'm new and glad to be here. My wife and I are new to chicken raising, we just got our first (15) Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks 2 weeks ago. We have been busy turning our small garage into a chicken coop and 12' x 12' x 7' run and I'm learning lots while we are reconstructing it. We will most likely be asking lots of questions as our little ones grow and looking forward to any advice or help that we get.

Rule of thumb is 4 sg.feet per bird inside the coop (not counting roost space or nest boxes), and 10 sq.feet per bird in the outdoor run. Please check out the coops section and also the Learning Center, to learn the whys, and ifs, of constructing certain features inside the coop. etc. Usually it is better to build larger than you think you need. Chickens are very addictive and it's easier to make the coop larger, than keep building additions. Welcome to Backyard chickens - no one here will ever tell you, you have too many chickens. We are all enablers.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You have come to the right place for all the fun and learning! Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions along the way, you know where we are.

Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck with your new chicks!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Silver Laced Wyandottes are a beautiful and productive breed. You will get lots of nice, large, brown eggs from them. X2 on drumstick diva's advice about coop and run space. I don't know how big you coop is, but with 15 birds and 144 sq. ft. of floor space in your run, you're really pushing the limits. Overcrowding can quickly lead to aggression, biting and feather plucking, and even cannibalism. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your SLWs.

We are only allowed 1 to 2 roosters and we bought a straight run so we really don't know how many hens or roosters we have yet. 15 chicks was the minimum for an order so we will be selling a few of them. The coop will be 249.75 sq. ft. and the run will 144 sq. ft.. We live in a small town and don't want deaf neighbors lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom