Newbie and venturing into the Peafowl world. Raising a imprinted Peafowl chick from hatchling.

Sometimes the imprinted males will get aggressive toward people when they mature, they grow up thinking Peas and humans are the same thing, so eventually they see you as either a potential mate or a potential rival. This is the risk with imprinted males, I think imprinted hens are usually fine. I did not intend to imprint mine, but have found that the Spaldings seem to imprint much quicker than the blue varieties, at least mine do.
Funny thing about this...So Peep of course sees me as a potential mate and will make the mating call and come running trying to mate with my foot, but the other day the white peacock, Frosty, did this to me! I raised Frosty from a little peachick but I did not hatch him and he was certainly not imprinted to me. Him and his sisters were the wildest peachicks I have ever had. So I thought it was funny that I am considered a mate to even a non-imprinted male. Maybe that is why they get mad at Peep for displaying to me.

That is interesting that you have found the Spaldings to be quicker to imprint. When Zaz and I get green peachicks I know both of us will be hoping to tame them down. Perhaps if Spaldings tame quickly green peafowl will tame quickly too?

Thank you birdrain, I will definatly look into that
big_smile.png

Hello Minxfox, thank you for your advice and sharing that story with me. I have read a few of your threads actually so thank you for them as well. I have heard shipped eggs are very hard to hatch so yeah im a little worried. It would be sad to go the 28 days of incubation to find that they may both quit. There actually is a advert I have found for peafowl eggs local to me but the breed is black shouldered peafowl so Im assuming this is just a different colour morph from the indian blue. I may buy four eggs and drive to collect them. Will increase my odds at getting a peachick and I could always let my broody rear the others should more hatch.

(edit)

Spoke with a nice women , her black shoulders are not laying at the moment and should be in a few weeks and she has a waiting list for eggs so mine could of hatched by then. Just in case mine do quit or fail I have bought another five Indian blue peafowl eggs. They should arrive hopefully Friday and I will put them in the incubator Friday night once they have rested. hopefully 7 eggs betters my chances of obtaining my little one.

Last edited:
Brilliant , I am assuming Gilroy CA is California , if so went there twice last year , loved it, I stayed in los Angeles, loved the heat, the wildlife and especially the food ha ha American food is soo yummy.

Adam
Food here is quite good, but there is no place to buy Fsh & Chips or Cornish Pasties.
hit.gif
And yes, Gilroy is in California. Why did you come to Gilroy?

-Kathy

Hello Adama!
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Have you been to this place, Kathy? http://www.thecladdagh.net/
I haven't, not recommending it! But it does look promising.

If you ever come up to the SF Bay Area, this is some really good no frills fish and chips: http://www.cooksseafood.com/
And this place is OK if you can tolerate Palo Alto: http://www.roseandcrownpa.com/
I love Palo Alto, I grew up there, lol. Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about the Irish pub. Will have to check that out!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom