Newbie Breeds Question

jotik

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2023
Wisconsin
Hello all, I'm planning to get my own chicks this year and my wife and I have been doing a lot of research on coop designs and breeds and I've been reading a ton of great information on this site. Thanks everyone in advance. But I thought I would pose my own question directly as a lot of breeds that other people have might not suit my climate or be hard to get in my area.

So here is my question. The hatchery near me in Wisconsin, from what I've heard, is a pretty nice place to buy from and they ship to our local co-op. Good prices, good birds, vaccinated, and beak trimming available. (For 20 cents a bird, worth it? Haven't really looked into it. Is it breed dependent?) Anyway, since I was going to buy from them, I've been doing research on their available breeds and I want to make sure to get a second opinion from everything I've heard and which one might suit my situation better.

We are going to have 4 chickens at first, with room to grow up to 8. 6 only probably if they're real big birds. We live in a rural subdivision, so still plenty of neighbors on half acre lots, but these chickens wouldn't be anywhere near someone's house, garage, etc. I don't want anything too noisy, but normal noise I'm sure will be fine. We all have kids and during the day, especially when the weather is nice, it sounds like a schoolyard :) So that leads me to my next topic. I've got 2 kids. A 10 and a 4 year old. I definitely want my chickens to be suitable to be held, near people, not skittish, etc. I don't plan on free ranging them, due to space available without a fenced in yard, but plan on bringing them out occasionally to stretch and enjoy the nice weather and so I want to be able to grab them or call them without having to chase onto neighboring properties. Lastly, we plan to have these mainly as egg laying hens, but I also want my kids to learn where their food comes from and the process of raising animals. So egg production during the winter months where it will be cold, snowy, and dark is my main concern, while making sure the chickens can be healthy during that time as well and be ok cooped up for long stretches. But I'm not opposed to taking one to the dinner table if I have to :)

Ok, so I wasn't planning on this post being this long. Sorry. So breeds I can choose from: Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpingtons, Golden Laced Wyandottes, Salmon Faverolles, Brown Leghorns, and Speckled Sussex. I've been leaning SS and BR for most of the qualities I have read about them. I've also considered the Salmon Faverolles as they seem pretty fun. I've heard RIR can get aggressive at times toward other hens and BO might just be too big and get broody too often. We won't have any roosters and I don't plan to have them brood, so that's another thing I've been trying to keep in mind. It seems like they all go broody eventually, but some are easier to break than others. I just don't want eggs stopping for weeks with 1 or 2 chickens when I only have 4.

Appreciate the help everyone.

In Wisconsin winters - smaller combs will be nice. The big ones tend to suffer a bit of frostbite, despite your or mine best efforts.

But really - numerous times, I have thought THIS breed will be the breed...only not so much. I like a mixed flock. So I would get one of each breed. It makes them easy to identify and count up at the end of the day. And usually it is easy to identify who is laying what egg.

I like the idea, that you are not filling the house all at once. It is good to bring in new chicks every year. And let old birds go. Chicken math needs to work both ways. You need to warn your kids that chickens do not live forever, and some are going to die much sooner than others. It is a fact of life.

You said you wanted to add chicks later, and to be honest, a broody hen is the best way to do it. Even without a rooster, hens will go broody, and after a couple of weeks -slip fresh day old chicks, and she will believe they hatched, and do all the work of raising them.

Broodiness can be broken. But for me, it is the winter when laying slows dramatically or stops all together that makes me short of eggs. Learn ways of saving eggs such as freezing or water glassing when eggs are plentiful, for use when eggs are hard to come by.

Good luck, and just get started. It is a wonderful hobby

PS - I have never bought chicks with the beaks trimmed.

Any breed can go broody, some are just more well known for it (i.e. Silkies). Not all hens will go broody, many will go their whole lives without doing so. Having a broody breaker ready to go will break most of them pretty quickly.

They call it beak trimming but it's debeaking, make sure to read up on what it entails and decide for yourself if you're comfortable with that, pros and cons. Birds with proper diets, adequate space and enrichment shouldn't have pecking problems. Birds missing the entire end of their beaks may have issues eating and grooming, depending on severity of damage.

Hello all, I'm planning to get my own chicks this year and my wife and I have been doing a lot of research on coop designs and breeds and I've been reading a ton of great information on this site. Thanks everyone in advance. But I thought I would pose my own question directly as a lot of breeds that other people have might not suit my climate or be hard to get in my area.

So here is my question. The hatchery near me in Wisconsin, from what I've heard, is a pretty nice place to buy from and they ship to our local co-op. Good prices, good birds, vaccinated, and beak trimming available. (For 20 cents a bird, worth it? Haven't really looked into it. Is it breed dependent?) Anyway, since I was going to buy from them, I've been doing research on their available breeds and I want to make sure to get a second opinion from everything I've heard and which one might suit my situation better.

We are going to have 4 chickens at first, with room to grow up to 8. 6 only probably if they're real big birds. We live in a rural subdivision, so still plenty of neighbors on half acre lots, but these chickens wouldn't be anywhere near someone's house, garage, etc. I don't want anything too noisy, but normal noise I'm sure will be fine. We all have kids and during the day, especially when the weather is nice, it sounds like a schoolyard :) So that leads me to my next topic. I've got 2 kids. A 10 and a 4 year old. I definitely want my chickens to be suitable to be held, near people, not skittish, etc. I don't plan on free ranging them, due to space available without a fenced in yard, but plan on bringing them out occasionally to stretch and enjoy the nice weather and so I want to be able to grab them or call them without having to chase onto neighboring properties. Lastly, we plan to have these mainly as egg laying hens, but I also want my kids to learn where their food comes from and the process of raising animals. So egg production during the winter months where it will be cold, snowy, and dark is my main concern, while making sure the chickens can be healthy during that time as well and be ok cooped up for long stretches. But I'm not opposed to taking one to the dinner table if I have to :)

Ok, so I wasn't planning on this post being this long. Sorry. So breeds I can choose from: Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpingtons, Golden Laced Wyandottes, Salmon Faverolles, Brown Leghorns, and Speckled Sussex. I've been leaning SS and BR for most of the qualities I have read about them. I've also considered the Salmon Faverolles as they seem pretty fun. I've heard RIR can get aggressive at times toward other hens and BO might just be too big and get broody too often. We won't have any roosters and I don't plan to have them brood, so that's another thing I've been trying to keep in mind. It seems like they all go broody eventually, but some are easier to break than others. I just don't want eggs stopping for weeks with 1 or 2 chickens when I only have 4.

The two large ones are Rhode Island reds from Rural King and the other small ones are Jersey Giant registered. I would buy the Rhode Island Reds as they are as big in weight so far as the Giants and lay twice the size egg and darker brown. I got the McMurray chicks over 8 months ago and spent over 275 dollars and my wholesome time to care for them and now look what i got. I am pissed off at McMurray for saying they laid the largest huge and darkest brown eggs. Up to you to buy what you want but i will never buy the Giants again for egg production for sure.

Attachments

• jersey giant 1.jpg
    jersey giant 1.jpg
    634.3 KB · Views: 2
  • jersey giant 2.jpg
    jersey giant 2.jpg
    709.3 KB · Views: 2
I personally will never have my birds debeaked. It is used by factory farms to keep chickens in small cages/living areas from pecking each other. I personally think it’s cruel, and can make it harder for them to eat.

As far as breeds, in Wisconsin, with kids and the choices you listed, I would go with one each of:
Barred Rock, Buff Orpingtons, Salmon Faverolles, Speckled Sussex
There is no guarantee of broodiness. We have had 2 broodies at the farm, an ISA brown of all things (which almost NEVER go broody, and a Production Red (also almost never go broody). So broodiness is a crapshoot. I would much rather friendly & personable birds with kids, and the 4 breeds I’ve listed are some of our favorites. Barred Rocks can occasionally be bossy, but ours is the cuddliest and friendliest chicken I’ve ever seen. A lot of people echo that sentiment!

In a year or two, I’d you decide to add more, you can see which breeds you liked most from the first group, and add two of each from those. All 4 breeds should handle the cold just fine. In northern NY, our temps are similar to yours, and we haven’t had any problems with the weather.

Last edited:
I personally will never have my birds debeaked. It is used by factory farms to keep chickens in small cages/living areas from pecking each other. I personally think it’s cruel, and can make it harder for them to eat.

As far as breeds, in Wisconsin, with kids and the choices you listed, I would go with one each of:
Barred Rock, Buff Orpingtons, Salmon Faverolles, Speckled Sussex
There is no guarantee of broodiness. We have had 2 broodies at the farm, an ISA brown of all things (which almost NEVER go broody, and a Production Red (also almost never go broody). So broodiness is a crapshoot. I would much rather feiendly & personable birds with kids, and the 4 borerds I’ve listed are some of our favorites. Barred Rocks can occasionally be bossy, but ours is the cuddliest and friendliest chicken I’ve ever seen. A lot of people echo that sentiment!

In a year or two, I’d you decide to add more, you can see which breeds you liked most from the first group, and add two of each from those. All 4 breeds should handle the cold just fine. In northern NY, our temps are similar to yours, and we haven’t had any problems with the weather.
Yeah I wasn't quite sure what was up with the debeaking, but after reading about it further and seeing what others have said, doesn't make sense for a backyard flock.

As for the breeds, I was actually going to do just as you suggested and get 1 of each. Being new I just wasn't sure if you needed to have so many of a certain kind together, but makes sense that you wouldn't. I've since also learned that while it doesn't hurt to take broodiness into account, you just never know. I would rather a hen go broody and I lose some egg production for a bit, than it be super aggressive or not work well with kids. So I'm not even going to worry about that :)

When you get baby chicks handle them a lot! Just dont hurt them of course! 🐓❤️

What did you end up deciding on? I'm a newbie too, and also tried to choose breeds based on friendliness for kids. A friend strongly recommended Rhode island reds for egg production, but I've birdsat her birds and they aren't super friendly. I got New Hampshire Reds instead, and one Isa Brown. But I'm mostly excited about the Barred Rocks and Buff Orpingtons I got, I've heard really good things about them!

What did you end up deciding on? I'm a newbie too, and also tried to choose breeds based on friendliness for kids. A friend strongly recommended Rhode island reds for egg production, but I've birdsat her birds and they aren't super friendly. I got New Hampshire Reds instead, and one Isa Brown. But I'm mostly excited about the Barred Rocks and Buff Orpingtons I got, I've heard really good things about them!
Sorry, I've been having issues seeing replies to my posts. Not sure what setting I'm missing. I just got our chicks last week on March 28th. Ended up going with 6 right away and got one of each breed I was interested in :)

Barred rock, speckled sussex, golden laced wyandotte, rhode island red, buff orpington, and a salmon faverolle. However it seems they mislabeled the last one and I might have gotten a white leghorn instead? Time will tell I guess. Not totally sure what it is at the moment haha.

Back
Top Bottom