Newbie chook mom

Welcome to BYC!
Remember to be very careful with how much treats you offer. Less is more.
A balanced complete diet is best. That is what the commercially made crumble or pelleted feed it.
Too much treats takes away from a balanced diet.

Your run looks great!
Are you planning on leaving the coop open so they can have access to the run 24/7?
Thanks! I’m trying to stick to the ‘less than 10% of regular feed’ plan, I’m more concerned about their health than making them like me for snacks lol. The coop is totally contained in the run so they can come out as soon as it gets light enough for them, and after one day of actually placing them in there for the night, they march themselves in every night! I have a camera and watch them go in (so cute) I’m in NW Florida, and winter can get quite cold here,so I’m not sure how we’ll do it this winter…perhaps close the door after they’re tucked in then open the door early (we’re early risers)🤷🏼‍♀️ I’m sure I’ll have a ton of questions as the seasons change, I’m pretty sure the cold won’t be as worrisome as the heat of summer has been, I was so concerned with our triple digits but gave them cool water with electrolytes. Whoever said chickens are easy is a liar, but gosh they are so fun!

Thanks! I’m trying to stick to the ‘less than 10% of regular feed’ plan, I’m more concerned about their health than making them like me for snacks lol. The coop is totally contained in the run so they can come out as soon as it gets light enough for them, and after one day of actually placing them in there for the night, they march themselves in every night! I have a camera and watch them go in (so cute) I’m in NW Florida, and winter can get quite cold here,so I’m not sure how we’ll do it this winter…perhaps close the door after they’re tucked in then open the door early (we’re early risers)🤷🏼‍♀️ I’m sure I’ll have a ton of questions as the seasons change, I’m pretty sure the cold won’t be as worrisome as the heat of summer has been, I was so concerned with our triple digits but gave them cool water with electrolytes. Whoever said chickens are easy is a liar, but gosh they are so fun!
You will probably need to leave the door open. They need a lot of ventilation to prevent frost bite.

Just wanted to say HI! Been reading on here for 6 months to gather as much info as possible before we started this new adventure, so I just officialy joined. Y’all have been SO helpful with all the info I was seeking to make sure we did this right! Anywhoo, this is my small flock of 7 enjoying sweet potatoes and Greek yogurt (in their extremely overbuilt run 😂) They will be 8 weeks old tomorrow, and already own my heart! 💕
Awe look at those cuties. Welcome here I can't wait till you get eggs. You can hardly overbuild when hens are involved. More is better.

Just wanted to say HI! Been reading on here for 6 months to gather as much info as possible before we started this new adventure, so I just officialy joined. Y’all have been SO helpful with all the info I was seeking to make sure we did this right! Anywhoo, this is my small flock of 7 enjoying sweet potatoes and Greek yogurt (in their extremely overbuilt run 😂) They will be 8 weeks old tomorrow, and already own my heart! 💕
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom