Newbie Feed question

Deweberbr

In the Brooder
May 25, 2016
Oregon
Hey all, So my flock consists of 2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Gold Laced Wyandotte, and a Delaware that I've had for a few months and all but 1 are laying. I'm just wanting to check and see that I'm feeding what I'm suppose to. I recently switched the feed over to a Layer feed but I'm confused on "scratch and treats" I have a bag of mixed "treats" that I bought that has mealworms etc but other than that I don't give anything extra besides feed. Am I suppose to? I have been told to Microwave and crush the egg shells and feed them back to them but do I just throw them in the run? I use a sand floor so I just want to make sure they are going to just bury them. Any Info is appreciated, I just want to make sure I'm treating them right!
****EDIT: The wyandotte and delaware are about 7 months old and the Reds are new to us so I have no idea. I believe the Wyandotte is the one that isn't laying yet. I also just realized I havent bought the layer feed yet but I needed to buy feed soon so that's why I was asking.

Last edited:
I think what we tend to forget is that in a large commercial operation, things are necessarily done differently than the average back yard flock owner does them. So neither way is totally wrong for each situation, and neither way is totally right.

If everyone agreed on the "only" way to do things, this entire web site could be read in half an hour. This forum works because of the diversity of the members and the diversity of ideas, and the courteous exchanges of those ideas. You two just showed that beautifully.
thumbsup.gif
Good for you! That always leaves a good impression on new members!

If your Birds are over 18 weeks??? Layer will not hurt them.....Oyster shell and Granite grit free choice at all times in two separate dishes.....
For LAYERS-....Treats at 5% of daily ration....Tablespoon per Bird a day.....

Cheers!
I respectfully disagree with you every time I see you post this.
smile.png
I know YOU haven't seen the issues, but talk to anyone who has and you might reconsider.

Many layers will NOT start anywhere near 18 weeks. And there is scientific evidence that backs up the higher calcium causing kidney issues long term for non layers. Many of my birds are 28 + weeks and not laying yet heading into the winter. Many birds at 18 weeks are not done growing yet and the lower protein in layer isn't going to benefit them. Nor the higher calcium. My white leghorn that was supposed to start laying at 16 weeks didn't start until 26!

I never mix anything directly into my feed. I always offer separate.

Ultimately we all have to do what is right for us. And I respect that your way is different than mine.

Then if I were you instead of buying layer I'd put them on All Flock or Starter/grower and provide oyster shell. But that's just me.....I don't like things too complicated and I'm basically lazy.
big_smile.png

You can buy a bag of scratch wherever you buy your chicken food. It clearly says "scratch" on the bag. I have a container that I feed the oyster shell in...just so I can monitor how much they are going though. I did the "mix in the food" thing and found they mostly billed it out to get to the stuff they wanted.

Quote: I respect your input on the topic of feeding Layer after 18 weeks or first Egg.....I have a Friend who's Family owns a Hatchery and raises Birds......I trust they know what they are doing after being in the business for 50 years....I will continue to post my methods and am sorry you disagree so strongly....

Cheers!

Wait, wait......no harm no foul here..... (or fowl, if you like puns as much as I do.....) everybody relax! You were both doing a great job of sharing and respecting each other's opinions until it became a "last word" competition. I was just complimenting you two for having different ideas and doing such a good job of sharing them....

Sooooo, to get back to @Deweberbr 's original question... You'll get to know your flock better the longer you do this, and you'll find what works for you, your budget, your birds, and how much time you want to take. There is a very good discussion on feeding on this new topic thread, hosted by Sumi. I'll give you the link and if you just click on it you'll find that lots of us have different ideas, but we all share one thing in common...we all want healthy birds.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1138895/topic-of-the-week-feeding-chickens-what-to-feed-and-when

Hey all, So my flock consists of 2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Gold Laced Wyandotte, and a Delaware that I've had for a few months and all but 1 are laying. I'm just wanting to check and see that I'm feeding what I'm suppose to. I recently switched the feed over to a Layer feed but I'm confused on "scratch and treats" I have a bag of mixed "treats" that I bought that has mealworms etc but other than that I don't give anything extra besides feed. Am I suppose to? I have been told to Microwave and crush the egg shells and feed them back to them but do I just throw them in the run? I use a sand floor so I just want to make sure they are going to just bury them. Any Info is appreciated, I just want to make sure I'm treating them right!
****EDIT: The wyandotte and delaware are about 7 months old and the Reds are new to us so I have no idea. I believe the Wyandotte is the one that isn't laying yet. I also just realized I havent bought the layer feed yet but I needed to buy feed soon so that's why I was asking.
If your birds are laying and another imminent, they need layer feed or a container of free choice calcium source. Feeding chickens isn't difficult but birds in production need additional calcium in the form of layer feed or some large particle calcium source. They can quickly deplete available body stores.

So do I mix the oyster shell (just bought a big bag the other day) with their food or offer in another container? Also do I need to make the "scratch" or do I buy that somewhere?
I would never mix anything with chicken feed unless one is an expert in poultry nutrition. It is already complete for the age/type/sex of bird it was manufactured to feed.
This is especially true for oyster shell. It should be in a separate container. I keep a cage cup near the feed and another near the nest boxes. If it is mixed with feed, the chickens will have no choice whether to consume it or not. It will coat the feed and could possibly cause the chickens to consume up to 10% of their diet as calcium. That would be much too high for even a bird in full production.

Thank you
@Blooie

I appreciate all your ideas and insight!!! I will be implementing a lot of these. I love that this site exists and doesn't make people feel dumb for questions. Such a great Chicken community!!!
There aren't dumb questions if someone has little experience on the topic.
Even those with experience should constantly reconsider their methods. Just because it has always worked doesn't mean it is perfectly correct.

No question is Dumb.......Just some answers are not correct.....We all have a way to maintain our flocks...What works for Joe down the road does not work for Jane, 60 miles away,..? It is a complex system daily....Chickens change, day to day to day.......Health changes, Chicks hatch, New members added...BYC should be fun.....

Anyways....

Cheers!.

Back
Top Bottom