alycoop

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2009
Vancouver WA
Hello,

I have been lurking for the past two weeks and today taking the plunge to join:

To answer the template questions:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I had hens in the mid-1970s when I was in college and lived on kind of a communal property with other college friends. I converted an old wood shed into a hen house and let my hens free range during the day. Life marched on...got a big job in "the city" (SF bay area), had kids, moved, got away from my dream of being self sufficient on small acreage.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

None yet. I am planning a henhouse now and will get 5 hens in the near future. My plan is to build with free, scrap materials. We have a friend who is a woodworker who has offered to help with the plan and building of the coop.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I am drawn to the Americaunas but am looking at the other breeds too.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

GOOGLE!!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Gardening.
If I had more time I would learn more about sewing for the home too.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Family of 4: Husband, self, young adult son who is in local junior college and daughter about to graduate high-school.

We have 2 dogs, 2 cats and one horse (kept nearby on some pastureland). We used to have an iguana but we found him a new home. Also had cockatiels but they escaped a few summers ago.

Work: I work in hospital administration.

We live on 1/2 acre at the north end of town. It is the older part of town and there pockets with large lots. We are fortunate to be close in to town but have this 1/2 acre with some trees.

The house was built about 1950 and there are some old stone garden terraces on the property. I plan to make the lower terrace a chicken run with a small coop. The terrace measures 36-inches across and is 20+ feet long. I believe that would be sufficient for 5 hens to scratch in. Am looking around for designs for a small coop; about 3' x 5' then attach a long run.

Predators around here appear to be racoons and 'possums.

Technically our home is in an unincorporated area and "county" although we are surround by "city". Our ordinances will allow me to keep hens, but no roosters. I could have more than 5 hens but don't really want more than 5 or 6.

OK, I'm off to read the message boards!
Aly

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you could join us!

Back
Top Bottom