Newbie from Washington

robinbond

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 5, 2010
Granite Falls
I am so excited to get my first egg/s. I have a total of 19 chickens, one is a Cochin rooster and 1 in an Ameraucana with a scissor beak. I purchased day/s old chicks on April 16th and my Plymouth Rocks are maturing very quick. I was wondering if it is healthy for the rooster to be in hen house and chicken run with the hens all of the time? My rooster has just become very protective of his hens while we are in the hen house and he has been real mean. What to do?
hmm.png

welcome-byc.gif
From Maine, I also have barred rocks and am waiting i still have a month to go before eggs, I have a rooster with mine, in coop and in run...and no problems..

Howdy from Missouri!! Your chickens should b fine, but when he starts attacking u thats when its a problem!

Hello robinbond!
welcome-byc.gif
from Tucson, AZ. Ask your question about your mean roo in the Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying section of the forum. Many will offer advice on what to do.

I got my first egg from my 18 week old Plymouth Rock on August 20th and I got a first egg from one of leghorns at 18.5 weeks old on August 23rd. There have been about 4 shell-less eggs in between these dates. I am so excited and can't wait to get out to the coop to check for eggs every morning, mid morning, noon, afternoon, evening. I am sooo chicken obsessed. I never thought I would love raising chickens this much.

Back
Top Bottom