Newbie here from Western Pa.

Redwolf141

Chirping
Feb 15, 2016
Johnstown Pa
Hello everyone my name is Tom and I am very new to raising chickens. I have been lurking here and reading what I can to learn. I am only looking at getting 4 or 5 chickens for my granddaughter and I to raise. One question I have is chicks or older hens to start out with? Also what breed ,I have two in mind but would like opinions. I look forward to learning from and getting to know everyone. Also need a good place to buy chicks or layers. Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Hi Tom,
welcome-byc.gif

If you haven't already looked it over, the Learning Center is a great place to start learning about keeping chickens.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Whether you start with chicks or point of lay girls is a personal choice. It's fun to watch the little chicks grow but it does take longer of course waiting for them to lay. And if you order chicks from an online hatchery, you're most likely looking at a minimum order of 15-25 (there are a few exceptions to that). Of course, you can often buy chicks at your local feed store and get the number you want but you may be limited by breed. As you can see, lots of decisions...you'll have to decide what's best for your situation.

For breeds, there are so many, it depends on why you want chickens. Do you want egg layers or tame little lap chickens or some kind of rare, exotic chickens? Again, lots of options.

Let us know how we can help!

Thanks NorthFlchick, we want egglayers. I am looking at Orpington or Auspralorps. I am hoping I can go to Myers poultry and pick up just 4 or 5 chicks or hens, I am only 20 minutes from myers and I heard they are pretty reputable poultry dealer.

Thanks NorthFlchick, we want egglayers. I am looking at Orpington or Auspralorps. I am hoping I can go to Myers poultry and pick up just 4 or 5 chicks or hens, I am only 20 minutes from myers and I heard they are pretty reputable poultry dealer.

Meyer Hatchery does have a good reputation. Did you know they have a drive-up window?!? Sounds dangerous to me, way too easy, lol.

If you're going to get 4-5 birds, I'd just get some of both the breeds you're interested in. That way you can compare them, see how they are the same or different and get a good idea of what you might like for future flock additions (and you most likely will want more at some point, chickens are addictive).

You and your grandchild are going to make some wonderful memories with this project!

Welcome to BYC, Tom. Glad you decided to join our flock. Chickens are gregarious and like company so I would suggest getting at least 3 pullets. That way if one dies the other two can still keep each other company. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children and Orpingtons and Australorps are both excellent breeds for children typically being very calm and gentle. Of course there can always be an exception with any breed. If high egg production is a priority, Australorps are the better layers of the two breeds, sometimes exceeding 300 brown eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Thank u Michael OShay....can I buy pullets from Meyers poultry i,was,thinking two of each breed but now my buddy a couple other breeds sex links I believever he said but we are mostly looking for good layers. I will only have coop room for 4 chickens.

Last edited:
Thank u Michael OShay....can I buy pullets from Meyers poultry i,was,thinking two of each breed but now my buddy a couple other breeds sex links I believever he said but we are mostly looking for good layers. I will only have coop room for 4 chickens.

You're welcome. Black and Red Sex Links are the best brown egg layers in the world, consistently churning out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year. I personally prefer the Black Sex Links to the Reds as my Blacks have been friendlier than my Reds, have tended to have a longer laying life, and have been particularly persistent layers in really cold winter weather. However I don't think you can go wrong with either variety. Just keep in mind that Sex Links are hybrids and will not breed true.

Thanks Michael.....I will look at the sex links closer I assume they would do good with the black Auspralorps if I got two of each.

You're welcome. I've had both Black and Red Sex Links with Black Australorps many times and they will do fine together as long as they are not over-crowded. Over-crowding can quickly lead to aggression, fights, biting and feather plucking, and even cannibalism with any breeds. The Australorps will likely end up at the bottom of your pecking order but less so with Black Sex Links than with Red Sex Links.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom