Newbie here!

Pics

Hens Solo

Songster
Nov 6, 2019
LaFayette Georgia
I'm new to this chicken hatching. A friend at church gave me 56 broiler cull eggs. I bought a cheap chinese incubator and loaded it with 56 eggs. I'm going into lockdown now with about 12 viable eggs. I kept close watch on temp and humidity but I was wondering about my low hatch rate. Most of my discarded eggs show little or no development. Any ideas for better success in the future.

Were they all fertile? How did they store the eggs? How did you store the eggs before setting? Do you have an extra thermometer and hygrometer inside the incubator when you're hatching? What was your temp and humidity? Did you hand turn your eggs? What incubator are you using (do you have a link to it)?

A cheap incubator with inconsistency could be part of the problem or cold spots in the incubator could affect the hatch as well. There are several reasons why there is a low hatch rate.

inCollage_20191031_061503338.jpg

Hello and welcome to BYC! Just starting myself and also awaiting my first set of Hatching eggs this week. Always a lot of great advise here so I am happy to learn with you as well!
Thanks dude (or dudette) The guy who gave me eggs said about 60% should be fertile. I don't know how long he had them or if he refrigerated them. I plan on reloading the 'bator with 56 more culls next week. I bought an outside hygrometer that pretty well matched my machine settings. I'm a retired teach and before I leave my outfit in a classroom I want to be reasonably competent.

Thanks dude (or dudette) The guy who gave me eggs said about 60% should be fertile. I don't know how long he had them or if he refrigerated them. I plan on reloading the 'bator with 56 more culls next week. I bought an outside hygrometer that pretty well matched my machine settings. I'm a retired teach and before I leave my outfit in a classroom I want to be reasonably competent.
LOL! Dudette and good luck with your hatch. Send plenty of updates and pictures!

Back
Top Bottom