Newbie here...

SandRun

Chirping
13 Years
Dec 19, 2007
Cincinnati
Hi everyone,

I'm new not only to chickens but also country living. My wife and I recently purchased 7 acres of what can only be described as the closest thing to a mountain in my part of the country. I've had an interest in keeping chickens (and ducks for the pond). I've been reading anything I can get my hands on, but am confused as I've not seen this question answered in any of the books I've read.

Can I keep a rooster with hens if my primary goal is egg production for food? I'm not necessarily against breeding, but didn't know if I should skip the rooster and keep only hens since I'm new.

Secondarily, in a book my wife recently purchased for me it seems to suggest a fertilized egg can be eaten, within the first week of being laid. Is this true or am I misunderstanding the author?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

First thing, WELCOME!!!! Your are in the best place for any info you are looking for. For your first question, you can keep a roo even for egg production. The main thing is if one of your hens goes broody and hides on you 21 days later you will have chicks. If you dont have a roo she will still sit but nothing will hatch of course. As for your second question you can eat the eggs as long as you pick them up before they start developing from being incubated by a broody hen. If you pick up eggs 1 or 2 times a day then you will be fine. If you keep them in a coop and run so that they cant sneak off to lay somewhere hidden then all will be fine. If they free range you might find the occasional nest out in the boonies. Those eggs should be candled and tested in water to see if they are good, or just get rid of them if you are not sure. PLEASE DONT SHAKE THEM!!! If they are bad they could explode and you dont want that. It is always nice to hear a roo in my opinion. Plus if you choose to have more you can always hatch your own. Again welcome and check out the areas and you will find unlimited info. Jenn

Get yourself a rooster. They're great. If it doesn't work out just eat him.

There is no major difference between a fertile or nonfertile egg. Just collect them
twice a day and throw them in your fridge.

Welcome to the craziness.

If you gather fertile eggs and refrigerate them, they're just like any other eggs for eating. You can't tell the difference (well, if you know what to look for on the yolk, you can tell, but you cant tell any taste difference).
I originally got a rooster for my girls because they freerange and he's a great protector. He stands guard while they do their foraging, taking very little for himself. They sound the alarm and often actually get the girls to safety. I enjoy having a rooster in the flock dynamic. Now I have several.

Welcome to the BYC

All eggs can be eaten, hens will lay with or without a Roo. Roos look out for hens so I would have at least one whether you plan to breed or not. Have a safe place for everyone to get to at night before you get your chickens/chicks Stick around here, there are lots of good sudgestions on how to go about starting/raising a small or large flock. Use the search and if you cant find what you want just ask someone will answer, or at leasst try to.

First of all......I want to welcome you to the madness known as BYC.............so good to get fresh blood in here
wink.png
eggs, fertilized or not....taste the same......
Enjoy the land.........this site is a wonderful place to learn so much..........so many wise and wonderful and even some crazies on here.....like the one who posted this reply
Get yourself a rooster. They're great. If it doesn't work out just eat him.

We are for the most part .......harmless
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom