Newbie. How am I doing?

MrBockBahhk

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 27, 2013
The North West, WA
I'm very new at growing chickens. Although I am an animal enthusiast, so I feel as if I did all the proper research and put the right work into them so far, I would like to hear some feedback as well. I bought 3 little girls (that I know of so far, the co-op only has an 85% promise of female so well see) at about 2 weeks old. One Rhode Island Red, one speckled Sussex, and one spangled hamburg. They've been in a 2x3 A frame brooder in my garage for about 2 months now with heat and fresh veggie treats, water, and plenty of start and grow medicated daily. They are definitely out growing it. They are a little bigger than pigeons now I would say with about 99% of their full feathering. I'm building my new coop actually this morning. It's going to have an off the ground coop of 4'x4' with 3 nests taking some of that floor space. It will have a run of 11'x4' enclosed with 1" poultry fencing. (I will post pictures once built) I plan on weening them off of the start and grow as the bag runs out and will hopefully put them on 100% veggie and bugs diet, although they LOVE the start and grow. Any tips? Does it seem like I got it down? Haha just looking for any help. Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif
It sounds like you've got a good plan for 3 hens, but do you have room to expand your coop if you decide to add to the flock? Also, I firmly believe that they should also have some grains in their diet. Scratch, or a mixture. I feed my girls a 7 grain mix of corn, bran, barley, wheat, and I don't remember what else.

Yeah I've heard that a scratch is also important. I wouldn't mind finding a natural scratch like that. Ill look into it. I've heard corn isn't good for them? Any reason why? I've seen multiple people thrown corn cobs in a coop and the girls love it. As far as space goes I have a 1/4 acre fenced in yard that they will be allowed to free range in a few days a week and don't plan on going over 3-5 hens until I move in maybe 3-5 years to some acreage.

Yeah I've heard that a scratch is also important. I wouldn't mind finding a natural scratch like that. Ill look into it. I've heard corn isn't good for them? Any reason why? I've seen multiple people thrown corn cobs in a coop and the girls love it. As far as space goes I have a 1/4 acre fenced in yard that they will be allowed to free range in a few days a week and don't plan on going over 3-5 hens until I move in maybe 3-5 years to some acreage.
I have no idea why anyone would tell you that corn isn't good for them. I've fed corn, or corn based feed for over 40 years and never had trouble with it. As far as natural grains I'd talk to your local feed store. I notice that you're in W. WA, but don't know where so I can't help you find a good source. If you want to PM me your location I may know of someone in your area.

Welcome! Sounds like your doing great!! Remember along with grains they need chick grit for their digestion. I simply mix the grit into the feed. You can buy chick grit at most farm stores. I start them out on girt mix really young. The grit is what breaks down the food. they don't have teeth so the grit in a since " chews" the food for them and is important. Hope this helps and congrats on your babes!! Show us some picts..:)

Hello Washington - about that feeding plan. It has been suggested that chickens need greens, grains, and bugs as part of a full, natural diet. I'm unaware of corn being a health problem for chickens but many folk steer away from corn and soy because of their likelihood of being GMO. There are a lot of grain based feeds that use wheat, flaxseed, sunflower, and others.

There is also a feed company right there in Bellingham that markets high quality organic, non-GMO feeds (some which even include corn) - but it's very pricey ... http://www.scratchandpeck.com

I use the BarAle all-natural layer crumble as a supplement to a free-range diet. No corn, no soy, and half the price of the scratch and peck.

Good luck - and enjoy!

Yes! That's what it was actually. Not so much that it was really bad for them more so that it may contain GMOs making for a not fully natural grow. Thanks for the info! Ill check the site out. Gonna get started on the new coop here in about 20 minutes

Back
Top Bottom