Newbie:Im moving,and concerned about my hen

BexB

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 27, 2013
Northwest Alabama
I will start with a lil of my story: I got 4 baby chicks from a friend,turned out to b 3 roosters and 1 hen,I kept them all till they started to mature and cause ruckus,I kept my lady (of course) and the most docile of the boys,was planning on getting more, but wanted to move first.My hen is almost 2yrs old now and has decided to brood (this will be her first time).So we are closing on our new house in a week.I have already told the hubby that before anything else, comes the new coop on the new land,but what will this move do the my sitting lady. will she sit or is it a lost cause.

Othing is ever a lost cause. Yes, it could mess up her broodiness but if you move her carefully and quickly with her eggs, it might be ok. You could try putting her eggs in an incubator and then return them to her after she settles if she is still broody. If not, leave them in the incubator.

We had to move our hen once because she started setting on eggs in one of the nest boxes, and the other hens would kick her off so they could lay (despite have two other empty boxes), and she would panic because she had to sit on the eggs. So we picked her up one day (not fun as my baby girl is a vicious mommy!) and quickly took all of her eggs in a crate to a different shed where she could set in peace. We put her in, but not on the eggs, and let her be. She spent a while looking around and after finding her eggs immediately started setting on them again. A few weeks later we had four gorgeous baby birds and all was well!

So my best advice would be to set the whole thing up and get her moved as quickly as possible. If she's anything like our hens when it comes to being broody it should work out alright. Trying to convince our hens to not be broody is the hard part, even after we move them constantly and even take the eggs!

I got my coop built yesterday,and i built a special brooding nest for my lil lady.We will b moving her probably monday,I will let you all know how it goes

Hello to my BYC family!!!!! I have been very busy! Country life is the best,the hardest part was finding internet service lol but finally found someone to pipe it in here.
First off, my hen did great with the move.I moved her late at night,I picked her up and my hubby put all the eggs in a cardboard box with straw in the bottom I put her in the box and took her to the new coop,I put the box and all in her new brooder box and cut the sides out,so I didn't have to move all them again. I moved them on a saturday and she hatched 17 on the following monday.
Secondly: I quickly realized how little i know about raising chickens.I let them out only when i was outside to supervise (because i had no fences or any protection for them) so one day I let them out while I was cleaning the coop,I was in there 5 mins at the most when I heard my hen making the worst noise I have ever heard. A hawk 3 times her size was after the chicks.I went after it with the rake I had in hand,it had already killed one and flew away with 2, I was outraged.had to learn the hard way! Then came the covered "sun room"I call it. They love it, even now that they are all grown up.
I still have allot to learn but it is slowly coming together. I am looking forward to sharing
and continue reading here and learning from all you guys!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom