Newbie Needing Help with Sick Chicken

newbiefarmgirl

Chirping
Aug 27, 2023
I noticed my chicken not looking good last night (see pic). She was fine yesterday morning - at least not showing any symptoms. I got her some water and she drank a bit and seemed to be moving around better. This morning she looks worse. Her neck is scrunched up and her tail drooping. When I picked her up, a clearish liquid was dripping from her beak. She won't stand. Any suggestions? She lives in a large flock, so it is difficult to tell what her poops look like. I'm new to chickens, so not sure what I'm dealing with.
About a month ago we had a chicken from a different flock go through this, too. I tried searching on this site, but couldn't find anything that really fit. She ended up dying within 3 days.

Attachments

• Bae.jpg
    Bae.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 62
How old is she? Does she lay eggs anymore? Can you feel of her crop and tell us if it is empty, full, hard, doughy, or puffy soft? What do her poops look like? Is she having any trouble breathing? Can you see if she will drink some fluids, and eat any wet chicken feed or scrambled egg bits? Her tail position is down, and that could mean that she is feeling poorly. Reproductive problems or crop disorders are common. If she has not been wormed recently, Valbazen 1/2 ml orally or SafeGuard Liquid goat wormer or horse paste 1.25 ml is good, and then repeat one of those in 10 days.

The
How old is she? Does she lay eggs anymore? Can you feel of her crop and tell us if it is empty, full, hard, doughy, or puffy soft? What do her poops look like? Is she having any trouble breathing? Can you see if she will drink some fluids, and eat any wet chicken feed or scrambled egg bits? Her tail position is down, and that could mean that she is feeling poorly. Reproductive problems or crop disorders are common. If she has not been wormed recently, Valbazen 1/2 ml orally or SafeGuard Liquid goat wormer or horse paste 1.25 ml is good, and then repeat one of those in 10 days.
She is about 9 months old. She does lay. None of the poop in their coop causes me concern. Her crop feels fairly empty, not squishy, but not hard. She doesn't seem to have labored breathing. She is crouched with head drooping and eyes closed. Tried getting her to eat and drink, but doesn't want anything.

Have you seen any soft shelled eggs? I would give her a human calcium citrate tablet with vitamin D in case she is egg bound. How does her vent look? Keep trying to give fluids and offer food. Wet chicken feed gets more fluids in right now when she needs some. I would probably separate her inside a wire dog crate with food and water inside the coop or run, and keep an eye on her droppings. Let us know how she is doing in awhile. If you have Poultry NutriDrench or other vitamin/electrolyte product, use it.

Have you seen any soft shelled eggs? I would give her a human calcium citrate tablet with vitamin D in case she is egg bound. How does her vent look? Keep trying to give fluids and offer food. Wet chicken feed gets more fluids in right now when she needs some. I would probably separate her inside a wire dog crate with food and water inside the coop or run, and keep an eye on her droppings. Let us know how she is doing in awhile. If you have Poultry NutriDrench or other vitamin/electrolyte product, use it.
No soft-shelled eggs. Her vent looks normal. How would I give her that tablet? Would I just push one down her throat? or break it up and give it with water?

No soft-shelled eggs. Her vent looks normal. How would I give her that tablet? Would I just push one down her throat? or break it up and give it with water?
If you open her beak and kind of shove it in, it will disappear down her gullet like magic. I've had to do this a few times and the hardest part is if the hen is feisty and getting the beak open.

After you get the calcium in and try to get her drinking some fluids, let us know how she is doing. If she seems cold, bring her in to a warmer area, such as a garage or basement. I would offer water with sugar or electrolytes up to her beak with a small cup or scoop. Those metal cat food cans or tuna cans work well.

I've read that if you pull down on their wattles, they will open their beak. I've not tried it myself.
Yep that is true. It's just hard when you're holding them with one arm and pulling the wattle with the other hand, unless you have a helper, you're out of hands to actually shove the pill in with 😂 I try to hold them so I can pull the wattle with the same hand of the arm I'm holding them with. I'm sure my neighbors find it quite amusing.

Back
Top Bottom