Newbie needs help with bumble foot!

joesandy1822

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2012
I adopted two ducks a few weeks ago (both hens). What a joy! However, we just came to realize that one of them (jumbo pekin) has bumble foot. It’s a fairly large scab, somewhere between nickel and quarter size. There is no swelling, no limping, she is eating, drinking, and acting like a normal duck.

I wish to treat it at home myself, if possible. I have watched many videos and read many articles. Treatments seem to be all over the place. I ordered some PRID drawing salve to help soften it before I try to remove the plug. I plan on soaking in an epsom salt soak, then applying the drawing salve for a couple days, then trying to pull the plug out. Once the plug is out, I’ll use Neosporin in the hole, and try to bandage the foot.

Some questions…I have a pond. The ducks love swimming in it. Do I need to put a bandage on the foot when I’m in the ”soaking/drawing salve” phase? How do I keep the foot bandage on if it gets wet? Must I keep her out of the pond until it’s healed? I’d prefer not to have to do that, but I could if necessary. The pond is filtered, which I know still has bacteria. I’m just saying that it’s not a mucky, dirty, smelly, stagnant mud hole.

There are many posts here on bumble foot. I am trying to read a lot them, but it’s a bit much. Are there posts that are more direct and thorough that could get me some confidence quickly?

Thank you all for any support. If it would be helpful, I can try and get a photo.

edited to add photo

Attachments

• 5AED8D77-0EE7-4416-A46A-455C9AF87029.jpeg
    5AED8D77-0EE7-4416-A46A-455C9AF87029.jpeg
    382.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I would soak her foot in epsom salt water for now. Maybe don’t let her in the pond after you remove the scab until her foot is completely healed. I don’t own any ducks, but this is what I would do for a chicken. @Isaac 0

Sounds like you're on the right track. I can't believe she's not limping with that large of a scab. I think it's okay to let her in the pond and leave it unbandaged until you pull the scab, at which point you want it to scab over before she gets in there, and you'll want to wrap it to keep it clean and dry.

Sounds like you're on the right track. I can't believe she's not limping with that large of a scab. I think it's okay to let her in the pond and leave it unbandaged until you pull the scab, at which point you want it to scab over before she gets in there, and you'll want to wrap it to keep it clean and dry.
I know. I can’t believe it either. She must’ve had this for quite some time. I’ve only had her for 3 weeks. The only way I noticed it is when she swims in the pond, her feet are then upside down. I can see how this goes undetected so often.

Do you think a good, long soak ONCE will allow me to pull it out, or do you think I’ll need to soak it for multiple days? It seems like once you soak something, it softens, but if you let it dry out just to soak it again the next day, it would just be hard again. I’m thinking one good, long soak would be just as good….but I have NO experience. Maybe the drawing salve is not even necessary? Once I have the plug out, I plan to put Neosporin or Polysporin on it and wrap it. These are both safe, correct? Just with no pain killers. One has only 1 antibiotic and the other I think has 3 antibiotics in it.

Thank you!

Here are the ointments I have on hand. Would one be better than another?

triple antibiotic ointment, polysporin, bacitracin, gentamicin, AmeriGel, silver sulfadiazine 1%.

I’m going to Tractor Supply soon to get some Vetericyn Plus spray.

Personally I tend to agree with you on the one log soak, and then just pulling it out as best as you can, trying to get any gunk hiding under there as well. Depending on how tame she is, you'll probably want to tuck her body under your arm backwards, let her rest on your leg and pull her foot back to work on it. I think any of those ointments will work, just not the pain relief on like you said. I'm not sure that the drawing salve will work in this case, but though I've ordered it and tried it I can't really say how or when to use it as it didn't accomplish much for me. Your girl probably already came with the bumble, since it's so advanced, but going forward you'll want to check their feet regularly and make sure they're not stepping on rough or sharp surfaces, as it's so much easier treating smaller bumbles or none at all. The heavy-weight breeds are particularly prone to them.

Personally I tend to agree with you on the one log soak, and then just pulling it out as best as you can, trying to get any gunk hiding under there as well. Depending on how tame she is, you'll probably want to tuck her body under your arm backwards, let her rest on your leg and pull her foot back to work on it. I think any of those ointments will work, just not the pain relief on like you said. I'm not sure that the drawing salve will work in this case, but though I've ordered it and tried it I can't really say how or when to use it as it didn't accomplish much for me. Your girl probably already came with the bumble, since it's so advanced, but going forward you'll want to check their feet regularly and make sure they're not stepping on rough or sharp surfaces, as it's so much easier treating smaller bumbles or none at all. The heavy-weight breeds are particularly prone to them.
Thanks so much!

If there is any bleeding, I know that applying pressure will stop it. But is it also safe to use that powder that you use if you cut a dog’s toenail too short? I think it’s called Quickstop or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom