Newbie question about broody hen

mrsfarmchick1

Songster
Dec 24, 2010
Bandera, Texas
So, I have this Silkie hen in a flock of mixed hens and a couple of roosters. She stayed in the nesting box today with a couple of fake eggs under her. I removed the fake eggs and put 6 eggs underneath her (2 of them were retrieved from the fridge after a day or so).

My questions are:
1. Do you think the 2 eggs from the fridge will hatch?
2. Since I don't want to move her to a special pen to raise the chicks, will it hurt for the chicks to eat the flock raiser feed and treats (sprouts, seeds) that I give the rest of the flock or do they need chick starter?
caf.gif

ok I dont think the eggs from the fridge will hatch. I could be wrong but we are told to leave them at room temp for a few days befor we start the hatch and second yes, they will need chick starter they dont get grit for a few weeks so they need the chick feed.

Maybe someone else will chime in and offer better info.. this is just my best guess
ps my broody silkie just hatched her first chick today
love.gif

First off Welcome to the BYC forums! Now, as far as your questions go:
1: The refrigerated eggs may hatch, some people have had them hatch and others have not. Since they were in the fridge only a day or so then they may very well hatch. I think it's worth a try! I've had old timer breeders swear to me that refigerated eggs hatch but I was taught never to refrigerate your hatching eggs.

2: I would raise them is a seperate area. One reason is that chicks need a balanced chick starter mash. The hen can eat the chick starter just fine. Also, depending on the number of birds and sizes of the birds in your flock, your little silkie may have trouble defending her chicks from other hens. Most hens and roosters stay well away from a broody hen regardless of her size but sometimes a more agressive hen or rooster will not.

You can candle the eggs around day 7 to see if they are developing, you never know, one day doesn't seem so long. Did you mark the eggs so you can tell them apart from newly laid eggs?

Are you sure the other hens won't bother her? I'd be worried about the rooster.

I've had a refridgerated egg hatch. Named him Popcicle. Hee hee.

Ditto on marking the eggs to keep them seperate from newly laid ones. And I did seperate my broody just for peace of mind. Good luck!

Thanks for all the input.
No other hen or rooster has bothered her yet, and the other hens are laying in another box.
After I candle the eggs in a week, I will isolate her so that the chicks will get starter feed.
I Love It When A Plan Comes Together!!!!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom