newbie question.

ericvandrick

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 12, 2009
I just decided to keep coturnix quail. I am just getting started.
I recently acquired 7 quail, 5 females, and 2 males. I was planning on only having one male, but I was given another male by accident. I would just process him, but he is such a nice looking bird (tuxedo) with a good temperament, I would hate to do it. He is much less aggressive than my other male... do you think there is any chance of being able to keep all 7 birds in one cage with out some kind of divider? (my cage is 2ft x 3ft) or would would i need to keep the males separated if it did not want any carnage to ensue? any advice would be appreciated.
-Eric

Personally, I would put that male in a cage with 2 or 3 females, and let the other male have the rest. But they shouldn't be breeding too badly now, so you wouldn't know for sure how they'll act till spring. You can always seperate them later, or get a few more females.

I have to agree with both suggestions so far. They both could work.
It really depends on how your birds get along.
I started from a similar point a year+ ago with a small flock, and my best advice would be to not process the extra roo. He is genetic differentiation.

Your pen floor space is slightly over stuffed, but not dangerous. If the bulk of one or both food and water is outside the pen, it's more than adequate.
Personally, I would keep them all in the same pen/cage and see what happens. The magic number 1 ft. per bird and 1 roo to 3-4 hens can be fudged!
I do it all the time. It just depends on the temperament of the birds.

In my 2' x 3' pens I keep 12 coturnix quail, (1/2 sq. foot per bird). My ratio of birds are 3 to 1, so that's 9 hens and 3 roosters.
In my 1 1/2' x 2 1/2' pens it's 8 birds, 6 hens and 2 roosters.

I'd certainly keep the "extra roo". One's not enough to eat and you could always lose your only male.

This is what works for me, your mileage may vary.

Kenneth

Back
Top Bottom