Newbie Questions

Hawkeye2010

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 24, 2017
I am in the initial phases of thinking about a small backyard flock. My backyard is about 1.25 acres in Wisconsin. My objectives would be to raise a few chickens (6ish) for meat and eggs, help control japanese beetles in my garden/raspberry patch and ticks around my yard, give my daughter a valuable experience. With that being said, I need this to be as automated as possible on a daily basis to fit into our crazy busy lives. To start, I have a few questions I hope you can all be so kind and help with!

#1: If I allow the chickens to roam about my backyard during the day, will they return to the coop on their own at night? I am pretty sure my grandmother did not spend hours on end chasing her chickens around the farm to get them back into the coop every night, however, I do know that she would go out and shut the coop door.

#2: If so, I'd like to try this automatic coop door opener and closer: https://www.chickenguard.com/
What do you all think of that?

#3: Will they destroy my garden of sweetcorn, tomatoes, squash, beets, peas, beans, raspberries?

#4: I would like watering them to be automatic and freeze proof. This is the only solution I can see so far: http://www.brittonfarmproducts.com/BP510A.html
What do you all think of that? Are there any other automatic freeze proof watering solutions? Daily watering is something that I do not want to add to my to do list.

#5: I was thinking about this automatic feeder: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/282654357990?chn=ps&dispItem=1

#6: What breeds would you suggest?

Thank you for all your help in advance!

Hi! I am so glad that you want to start your own backyard flock! Here are some answers:
  1. When you initially get chickens, you will need to 'train' them where their coop is, by locking them in there for the first 4-7 days without letting them out. After this, they will instinctively go home to roost when it gets dark. Keeping them a little hungry by the end of the day also helps to get them into the coop if you want to start a routine of feeding them when you put them in, but you still need to ensure they are getting the proper amount of food
  2. I personally wouldn't spend the money on the automatic door because it is really really expensive. In some circumstances it could be invaluable (if you are not often home at night), but I personally like being there in person to make sure all the girls are in.
  3. Yes! Chickens have no self control when it comes to certain fruits and veggies such as tomatoes and raspberries, and may go after the squash as well. Fencing off the plants chickens like can prevent this.
  4. There are many options for waters, and it depends on how much money you want to invest. There are plenty of heated chicken waters out there on the market, all developed for different situations and purposes. The link you provided seems a little complicated to set up. There is a natural spring by my coop, so we rigged up some cut pvc and piping to keep a continuous flow to avoid both soiled and frozen water. If you have water access or electricity near your coop, you may have more options for what you can use.
  5. An automatic feeder probably isn't necessary. You can either get a much cheaper, hanging feeder and offer them free-choice, or feed them controlled amounts a few times a day if you are worried about them becoming over-weight. As with the door, this is dependent on your situation.
  6. There are plenty of great breeds out there, all with different purposes in mind. McMurrays "chick selector tool" is a super specific way to get an idea, especially if you click "show more characteristics". If you are looking for free-rangers, dominiques are supposedly some of the best, while being friendlier than other free-range breeds such as games.
I hope this helps. Good Luck! :thumbsup

Thank you for your input!

I don't mind the cost of the automatic door, it would be invaluable with our schedules.

The watering is what is holding me back getting chickens. The potential for freezing and needing constant attention/cleaning is what has held me back from getting started with chickens. Does anyone have any low maintenance examples they can share?

Thanks!

A bucket with horizontal nipples and a tank heater is pretty reliable. If you put on a lid and keep them off it so they don't get dirt and poop inside it it'll last a long time before you need to rinse and refill.
For six hens I'd bet a 3gal bucket would be fine with weekly refills.
IMG_3370.JPG
IMG_3370.JPG
https://smile.amazon.com/Allied-Pre...303619&sr=8-1&keywords=allied+precision+dt250

:welcome

Getting them used to the coop should be easy, following Feather Fanatic's advise. My first coop was small, with a small run attached. The first few nights they went to sleep on the ground and I had to put them in the coop myself. When I built my big coop and moved them to there, I kept them in it for a couple days before letting them out into their run and didn't have any problems.

If you don't have them in a secure run, an automatic door is handy. Otherwise even when they go to roost at the end of the day they will be exposed to predators until you lock it up, meaning you need to be home at dusk every day. I have the Ador door, and love it. www.adorstore.com.

For a feeder, look at some of the PVC feeders here on BYC. Lots of good ideas, and a lot less wasted food than the one in your link. Chickens love to throw food around, looking for that piece at the bottom that will taste the best. My PVC feeder hold enough pellets to last my 4 girls about 2 weeks, but I also give fermented feed every day (just as much as they will eat first thing in the morning).

For water, the one you linked to looks good but will probably freeze in your Wisconsin winters. There are a lot of other options, from using buckets with a tank heater and nipples, to cookie tin heaters, or, what I used last year, a heated dog water bowl.

#3: Will they destroy my garden of sweetcorn, tomatoes, squash, beets, peas, beans, raspberries?
Yep.....and your neighbors gardens too.

I need this to be as automated as possible on a daily basis to fit into our crazy busy lives
It takes me 15 minutes in the morning to fill feeder, top off water, and scoop poop off roost boards. 5 minutes at night to gather eggs, do a head count, and lock up.

There are days that take much more time if a problem arises.

Making your coop big enough to do these chores, and store all supplies, under cover will make all the difference in the world in your climate.

Check out My Coop page.

Heated waterer

No spill Easy fill feeder

Back
Top Bottom