Newbie to posting in the BYC forums

mekidsmom

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2016
CNY
Hi! Hello! How are ya?

So... first and foremost I should say that I once used the heck out of these forums and all the helpful advice here. That was my first adventure into the Chicken World about 10 years ago when my son decided he wanted to raise them while I was homeschooling him. A lot changed quickly, and we only kept our RIRs for a few years...

And now, one of his little sister's is being home schooled and has decided that she TOO should raise chickens! Well, as said, a LOT has changed in our lives since then, and I agreed! So, to catch up on my chicken facts, where did I go? Of course, BYC! This time though, I decided not to just lurk around. I'm pretty active online, and even though this forum is GINORMOUS, I figured I should pop in. Besides, how else am I going to show off all my chicken pictures to all the admirers? People on Facebook only want to see the chicks! (lucky for THEM that's what I have at the moment).

So, let's see... the "official" intro q's:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? --
Nope, but I'm not seasoned. As said, I ran with chickens about 10 years ago (from chicks through at least one winter, though it might have been two. I can't remember!)

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
5 - We brought chicks home yesterday, and unfortunately one did not make it through the night. We'll be headed back for one (or two?? maybe three?? -- no just one or two - I SWEAR) more next week. This is what happens when your kid is running all over the store so you tell the lady to grab the chicks for you instead of grabbing them yourself. :( We got a dud. Poor little thing was weak from the moment I got a good eye on it upon opening the box. I'd like to believe she went peacefully in her sleep though, much better than being pecked to bits by 50 of her sisters.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Our chicks are Cuckoo Marans (without feathered feet) and Salmon Faverolles (it was a Maran that passed) - supposedly they are all pullets - I'd like ONE Rooster though!

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
I don't remember, it was so long ago. I'm sure it was via some google search result. I remembered ya though when I started researching breeds again!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I play guitar and sing (well... I try at least), random crafts (currently working on a re-born doll from scratch for my non-homeschooled daughter), I dabble with watercolors and knitting occasionally. LOVE to bake! Oh... and photography is a fun little past-time of mine too. :)

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
2 kids still home in elementary grades - one I'm homeschooling who has a high functioning Autism diagnosis (PDD-NOS). I have a hubby too. ;) My oldest is now about to turn 20! THAT makes me feel old. I work from home actually doing online moderation (forum, facebook, chat) as well as other stuff here and there. We have a pug and a pit bull, and are in desperate need of a FENCE (and a chicken coop... really really really need a chicken coop, but my hubby works BEST under pressure! LOVE HIM!)

-- I read a few things on the forums in the past week that really got me, and made me want to become a member. Among all the helpfulness and kindness displayed, as well as good banter, there was one woman that really touched my heart strings and pulled me in. I can't recall her name, but I've seen her face around in quite a few helpful posts... the Grandma with the disabled grand-babies (autism, wheelchair, chickens) ... she made me cry, and made me KNOW I belong here. :) Thanks!

MKM

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you decided to join us!! Lovely intro, I hope you renew your chicken knowledge!

welcome-byc.gif

Great intro, I really enjoyed reading that! Thank you for sharing a bit of your story with us (and your humor too, lol).

If you like to bake, come see us crazy bakers on the thread in my signature. We have hits, flops and fun!

Nice to have you here!

Welcome to BYC! I'm not sure if you were referring to me, but the description comes awfully close!
frow.gif
I have little Kendra in her wheelchair, born with Spina Bifida, and her big sister Katie with mild autism. Oh, and I have chickens. So yep, it sounds close.....

Your introduction was lovely, and very informative. Feel kinda like I know you already! So come and poke around on the forums for a while, get to know us, and if you aren't doing anything between now and March 15,bring your baking skills and join us here. Make an edible Easter something to enter let those wonderful little ones of yours help do the designing and decorating! It's lots of fun, no pressure (well, unless you're me - I'm always under pressure) and you might even win a prize! Even if you don't, you're sure to make lots of great new friends!

Um edited on accounta I forgot the link. <sigh>

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ontest-for-the-7th-annual-easter-hatch-a-long

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! I'm not sure if you were referring to me, but the description comes awfully close!
frow.gif
I have little Kendra in her wheelchair, born with Spina Bifida, and her big sister Katie with mild autism. Oh, and I have chickens. So yep, it sounds close.....

Your introduction was lovely, and very informative. Feel kinda like I know you already! So come and poke around on the forums for a while, get to know us, and if you aren't doing anything between now and March 15,bring your baking skills and join us here. Make an edible Easter something to enter let those those wonderful daughters of yours help do the designing and decorating! It's lots of fun, no pressure (well, unless you're me - I'm always under pressure) and you might even win a prize! Even if you don't, you're sure to make lots of great new friends!

Ahem...about that 2nd entry you talked about Blooie...
caf.gif
waiting, waiting, waiting
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ontest-for-the-7th-annual-easter-hatch-a-long

Hi and welcome to BYC - watch out for some of the members above - they're a sandwich short of a picnic
big_smile.png
I hope that you enjoy being a member of BYC as much as we do.

Cheers
CT

Back
Top Bottom