Newbie with a hen question

redsoxs

Crowing
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
North Central Kansas
Hi all from Kansas! I'm brand new as of last night to BYC. Wow! What a great site. I know my questions are likely redundant but I don't know how to manage the thousands of posting in order to get the info I need, so here goes. I just got done raising a flock of primarily meat birds and now want to get some layers - only about 10 or 12. I have located a good hatchery, picked out a few birds I'd like to try but I'm concerned. Will generally unstressed hens get along with hens of a different breed? I've read that sometimes chickens can bully other chickens they see as different. I wanted different types for the novelty aspect of it but also wanted birds of similar size when mature and I tried to get (from what was available) decent cold weather layers. I am thinking of getting 2 hens of each of the following chicks: red stars, black stars, black Austrlorps, Delawares, white leghorns, and SL Wyandottes. I am most concerned about them attacking one another. More info: I won't have any roosters around and the hens will be free ranging on the farm. Does anyone see any potential disasters with this mix of birds? I'm new to this and don't want to get off on the wrong foot. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!

welcome-byc.gif

I tihnk that you will find that alot of people run mixed flocks....different breeds. My large fowl birds are mostly cochin but there are delawares in there and so forth . It really isnt a problem for the most part

My flock is very mixed and I dont have a problem. If you raise them together they will be fine. You will find that the ones alike stay together. I have at least 2 of the same. I have barred rocks, rhode Island Reds, Naked Necks, Speckled Sussexs, White Rocks, Delawares, Austra whites, Silkies, Cochins, Polish, Red Sex Links, Welsummers, Black Australorps, D'Anvers, and a few mixes.

I ordered a brown egg layer mix and the hatchery gave me 5 Delaware (1roo) he was my freebie, 4 buff orp, 4 black australorps, and 2 rir (1roo) but I ordered them specifically. They all get along very well I think. Along with the 2 Roos! The rir roo can be a pain but he's tolerable. I think if they grow up together they'll be fine. Mine are 20 weeks and they all do good together.

Back
Top Bottom