Newbie with broilers, any information?

CornerViewFarm

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Ohio
I have been thinking about getting into meat birds. So i was wondering if I have to feed the high protine feed? Or is there a cheeper way to feed them? Also how much money would I make if I took the birds to a butcher? Anything thing im missing?

Any kind of info will be greatly appreciated.
smile.png

Last edited:
use the search button and put in fcr. you'll find the feed conversion and what it has cost for others. also put in processor and you'll find that most processors charge 1.50 to 3.00 per bird to process.

There is no cheap way to feed broilers. They eat and drink double time what layers do. They require more space and food and water.
Mine are kept around for 8 weeks and that is it. Just long enough to get them to a great weight and then off to be slaughtered and frozen.

You will probably never eat store bought chicken again after raising your own. I know we dont, the better taste and freshness out weighs the more money you will spend to raise your own.

Most folks here find they can't raise meat chickens any cheaper than you buy them at the store, so if $$ is your primary thought, you probably won't save much, if any by raising them yourself.

Having said that, if your primary concern is the quality of your meat, knowing where it came from and how it was raised, then it's worth raising it yourself.

Yep, unless you can make your own feed that gives them what they need, you probably can't make money you know how it was raised though! I just used chick starter all the way through to week 10, but I should have butchered a little sooner. If you could market them to yuppie whole food types you could get more than they are worth to make your self some money, but probably wouldn’t pay for your labor. I saw a book on Amazon that was about how to make money off of them.

I am glad I did it and may do it again. I found a place that will butcher them for 1.50 in MN, they bag and freeze for an additional .50 cents. I did one myself and will happily pay 1.50 from now on. Buckridge Meats - Phone: 507-753-2183, 29832 640th St, Millville, MN 55957

Last edited:
Cornish X are known for leg problems as they get older and heavier they are also known for heart problems for the same reason. The longer you keep them and the heavier they get you may start loosing some to heart attacks or they will be unable to move due to leg problems.

Between 8-10 weeks is the age that most people slaughter their meat birds.

There is a few tricks for Cornish X to reduce the amount of leg problems.

Place the food and water at opposite ends of the cage, pens, coop.

Keep raising the food and water so they have to stand to eat and drink.

Put a few aggressive standard heavy breed broiler in with them. The slightly more aggress birds will make the Cornish get up and move more often.

Don't have feed available 24/7, use a 12 hour cycle for food. Like 8 in the morning to 8 at night have feed out for them. The rest of the time take the feed out of the cage, pens, coop.

The age you butcher can depend a lot on how the birds are cooked. For fryer you butcher when the bird is at the end of its juvenal period. For a standard Heavy breeds the butchering windows that is usually at 12 weeks or 6 weeks for a fast growing Cornish X. If you feed 24/7.

Some hatcheries sale a slow and fast growing Cornish x, use the slow growth ones, the butchering window starts as fryers at 10 weeks.

A lot on when the butchering window opens depends on the breed of the bird, how the bird was fed, and how it is entended to be cooked. Most of the advice given in this forum is for frying the birds.

Very interesting advice you all give. I have been doing things natural, giving them food and water 24 hours, natural daylight hours. Thought I'd give them the last 1 1/2 week and give them 24 hour light to finish up. The cornish x are begining to have wobbly legs at 6 weeks old, so their days are really numbered.
It has been a terrible summer with cool temps and rain, but super for raising these hot buggers. I hear folks talk about outgrowing their feathers, at this point, they have nice white feathers all the way around. Guess I'm lucky or MMAJW just has some nice birds (who I picked these up from- they were super chicks and now great birds)
Wish I had this luck with hatching my own, so far only one roo in the bunch~!

Back
Top Bottom